Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Sink faucet: Who's got a good one?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
RobbyBeers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Sink faucet: Who's got a good one?

I'm in the middle of a kitchen renovation, and I'm trying to keep my brewing needs in mind. One thing I'd really like to incorporate is a good kitchen sink faucet. I'd like one that will provide a good spray for brew day cleaning; it would be a bonus if it could also take a standard faucet adapter for the wort chiller, bottle cleaner, etc.

Just taking a shot to see if anyone has any suggestions or ideas. I've been looking around, but so far no luck.

I don't want to relax. I'm too worried. But I will drink that homebrew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 12

The answer to your question depends:
If you are married, just ask your wife. She already knows the one you will get. It won't be the one you want, but it will be the one she wants.

If you aren't married and want an something industrial looking, google restaurant sink sprayers. If you want something cozier, google country sink faucets or farmhouse sink faucets. These look like long goosenecks, some are articulated and you can get ones tall enough to work with your brewpot. Mine does. And the rustic finish on mine was wife-approved, even though she didn't know it would also work with brewing equipment. Ha ha!

Good luck.

N_G
It could be worse.

People Like This 
Old 07-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 177

You could also go with the "normal" sink faucet with a sprayer, and then have a wall-mounted pot filling faucet either over the stove, or near it somewhere. I'm not sure, but you could probably get a pot-filler faucet that had external threads to fit a hose/wort chiller/etc.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
mccabedoug
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeers View Post
I'm in the middle of a kitchen renovation, and I'm trying to keep my brewing needs in mind. One thing I'd really like to incorporate is a good kitchen sink faucet. I'd like one that will provide a good spray for brew day cleaning; it would be a bonus if it could also take a standard faucet adapter for the wort chiller, bottle cleaner, etc.

Just taking a shot to see if anyone has any suggestions or ideas. I've been looking around, but so far no luck.
If I was renovating my kitchen again my wife would KILL me if I brewed beer there. The best upgrade that I ever did to my home brewing process was to install a utility sink in my basement. Attached to my faucet is a Y-valve with two quick disconnects. One side usually has a 6 foot hose with sprayer attached. The other can be my plate chiller, bottle washer, etc.

Get out of the kitchen, man. You (and your wife) will be glad you did.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccabedoug View Post
If I was renovating my kitchen again my wife would KILL me if I brewed beer there. The best upgrade that I ever did to my home brewing process was to install a utility sink in my basement. Attached to my faucet is a Y-valve with two quick disconnects. One side usually has a 6 foot hose with sprayer attached. The other can be my plate chiller, bottle washer, etc.

This is also a very good option. I am currently installing a utility sink in my unfinished laundry/storage/fermenting room in the basement. I might set one up in the garage with a drain out to the driveway, since that is where I plan to move my brewing sessions to once I get my keggle cut up...

Old 07-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
E-Mursed
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutty_gnome View Post
The answer to your question depends:
If you are married, just ask your wife. She already knows the one you will get. It won't be the one you want, but it will be the one she wants.

Good luck.
So true.....

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” – Leonardo da Vinci
"A set back is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently" - Henry Ford

Old 07-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
SharonaZamboni
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1369 Times on 1271 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I've got a single basin sink with a gooseneck faucet. I like the sprayer to be separate, not one of those that pull out of the faucet. The big single basin is so much better for washing pots and pans. The gooseneck is high enough to fill a pot.

*I think mine's a Delta.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3042 Times on 1916 Posts
Likes Given: 2569

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonaZamboni View Post
I've got a single basin sink with a gooseneck faucet. I like the sprayer to be separate, not one of those that pull out of the faucet. The big single basin is so much better for washing pots and pans. The gooseneck is high enough to fill a pot.

*I think mine's a Delta.
My wife insisted on this $500+ faucet. The sprayer pulls out of the faucet and I hate it. ARRGH.

One great feature is to have a pnuematic pushbutton for the disposal. We had the granite company drill a hole for this thing... keeps the wall clean where you'd normally have the disposal switch. That stainless pushbutton mounts right next to the faucet. It's non-electric (air-actuated) so no risk of zappage.

And you're waiting there, not a care in the world

Old 07-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccabedoug View Post
This is true.

While I can and do fill pots in the kitchen and then brew outside, I do all of the heavy cleaning work at my basement utility sink. I also installed a Y valve on the faucet there and have a 8 foot long hose with a ball valve and reducer/spout on it so that I add water to or rinse buckets and pots on the floor. The other side of the Y valve is a spring loaded bottle washer. I find it is invaluable and I use it all the time to clean empties/buckets/and carboys. It kinda looks like a mortuary set up and new people are always skeptical about the true purpose of the hoses over the sink......

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1936 Times on 1400 Posts
Likes Given: 1061

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
My wife insisted on this $500+ faucet. The sprayer pulls out of the faucet and I hate it. ARRGH.

+1

Also it might be helpful to add a separate connector under the sink for brewing day. That way you don't have to change anything up top. Add a T to the watersupply line, add a valve and quick connect and when it's time to chill, SNAP! you are on your way!

Quick Reply