Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Single Vessel, All Electric, NS, NC Brewery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #51
Birdgunner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
In my design, I'm hoping the basket will be the ONLY thing to clean....then I can use a CIP sprayball to rinse out the vessel and lines, heating with the element and recirculating for about 1/2 hour while I put stuff away and put the filled fermenter in place. Hopefully I can also design the system such that it can be drained quickly using only one valve....
NOW THAT WOULD BE SLICK!
I imagine it can be done though (I must have a secret Freudian love affair for the Braumeister since I mention it in nearly half of all my posts) because it is only one pot and one valve unless I am missing something in the video.
The quote I got for the perfed SS was a little over $300 and that would only cover the walls of the 80 qt basket, making a tube if you will... that was almost as much as my entire build... hence why I didn't go with it but it would work very well. As for the mesh, what I had in mind and available wasn't all that rigid, sounds like you found something much better.
Hope you can make this thing happen, sounds like a good phase II for me!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #52
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 11

So, as I was browsing McMaster, I saw THIS:

McMaster Part#'s: 1471T26, 1471T27

Weld one of these on each side of the pot with a crossbar, and you've got a telescoping crossmember! One concern I had with the hoist was the height. This solves the problem...you just collapse her up when you're done! Still sexy, and this could easily hold the weight of 50+ lbs of wet grain....

I also think you could modify something like this to be a guard for a sight gauge.....

Old 01-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #53
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Okaaaaaayyyy....after even more searching on McMaster...I found this:

It's 316 SS screen. Here's the info:
Part# 1667A22
Type 316 Stainless Steel Insect Screening .009" Wire, 24" Width, 7' Length
In stock at $29.24 Each

24 in wide x 7 ft long will line the inside of a 100qt stockpot with a bit left over. Not as durable as some of the other options, but it is 1/4 the price and shouldn't be a problem if you don't beat the basket to hell.....

There's definite possibilities here....PLEASE, someone tell me if I'm missing something, I don't want to get my hopes up

Old 01-29-2010, 04:35 PM   #54
Birdgunner
Recipes 

Are you going to sew on the bottom? 20"H x 62"L or so (off top of my head so not 100%) will cover the inside walls of a 100qt pot but then you have a 20" or lil less bottom diameter to cover/ incorporate as well. Not sure how well your seams would hold up?

Old 01-29-2010, 04:37 PM   #55
MultumInParvo
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Wow. Like usual I have little to add. But I just read over this whole thread and it is sweet. As much as I love the sweet three pot set ups (and even the two) I am really tight on space (and money) and something like this would be great. You can make a great looking, very effective, brewing rig that takes up little space and doesn't kill your wallet. I defiantly see myself doing something like this down the line.

Keep up the good ideas. I'll need to steal them later!

Old 01-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #56
Birdgunner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cford1 View Post
Wow. Like usual I have little to add. But I just read over this whole thread and it is sweet. As much as I love the sweet three pot set ups (and even the two) I am really tight on space (and money) and something like this would be great. You can make a great looking, very effective, brewing rig that takes up little space and doesn't kill your wallet. I defiantly see myself doing something like this down the line.

Keep up the good ideas. I'll need to steal them later!
You darn Michigan guys!

Old 01-29-2010, 07:58 PM   #57
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdgunner View Post
Are you going to sew on the bottom? 20"H x 62"L or so (off top of my head so not 100%) will cover the inside walls of a 100qt pot but then you have a 20" or lil less bottom diameter to cover/ incorporate as well. Not sure how well your seams would hold up?
The best I can figure is to lay JB weld in a bead around the top and bottom of the screen, to keep it covering the holes....then do the same with the bottom. You might be able to silver solder the screen to the basket if you prep it well.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:27 AM   #58
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post

The pots are huge, they can handle the boil; the baskets are significantly smaller, around 2/3 the volume of the pot. If the basket sits at the top of the pot and it is full of grain, but the pot is not full of water, there will be grain in the top of the basket that is not getting mashed. Another reason why I feel it is important to get a good sparge from the top down.
I got you. But in reality, the mash volume (water + grain) is almost the entire pot and the grain is floating around freely. Or at least that's been my experience.

No sparge, no chill, no MLT, no HLT, no propane, no worries...

Old 01-30-2010, 08:16 PM   #59
CamelToeJoe
Recipes 

Just thinking out loud.

A keg should fit in a 55 gallon SS drum. Cut a hole (say 8 inches) put a false bottom in the keg and there you go. Just use the keg handles to lift by. Easy to make easy to clean.

Should be easy to brew bigger batches.

Just gotta find a good source for 55 gallon SS drums, (craigslist)

Also if a keg won't do it, the diameter of a 55 gallon drum is roughly 22.5 inches and get a stainless pot to fit. Cut a hole in the bottom and get Jaybird to make you a FB.

Now... Cut a slit part way around the bottom of the keg where the FB can slide in and out. When you're done position the keg over the trashcan pull the FB out, the grains drop into the trashcan. Even easier to clean, while the wort boils away in the 55 gallon drum.

Easy enough for the three vessel HERMSer to convert over to.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:04 AM   #60
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

This would definitely work for those making huge batches.

Quick Reply