Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Single Vessel, All Electric, NS, NC Brewery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #531
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

FWIW, I appreciate the amount of time, research & money you've parted with to get to this conclusion. I guess sometimes simple and low-tech really is the way to go.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2011, 11:52 PM   #532
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Here's some more video of the rig in action, I added a nice loc-line recirc manifold....it works awesome! :

Old 01-11-2012, 02:52 AM   #533
BrothOfVigor
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Boy did this thread reach a post limit or what? The silence is killing me! I hope I'm just the blind fool who has missed the follow-up thread.

This is a great build, and I have to say your enthusiasm is appreciated. I've been contemplating a build very similar and I'm glad to see the idea is not new (and I wont have to be the one troubleshooting all the R&D ), you've brought up a lot of new scribbles on my notepad that I must credit to your experiences.

In the realm of sparging from your basket, how did the third model work out for you? I absolutely love the little plastic ball-joint doohickey thing you have on your lid; much simpler than the SS contraption I had been thinking of. What is that product? Have you tried a little compression on the grain bed to release some juices before the flush with clean water?

I noticed you bit the bullet and used a hop bag. Has the non-elegant solution helped your pellet woes?

How has your efficiency on the rig been performing? And as a side note, I've noticed you have a fair amount of lines for your wort to be running through either due to mash circulation or chilling. Have you calculated the volume for all of these lines at the appropriate times to correct for your bulk volumes? What volume is your system eating up? Have you had better luck getting a complete wort drain?

Thanks for any updates and keep up the fantastic brewing!

Old 01-11-2012, 06:25 AM   #534
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Steve, I followed your BIAB recirculating rig most of the way. Question, after all is said and done, what mesh size do you thing would make the best mesh basket JUST for the mash? You seem to teeter between 16 and 20 mesh size at the end of your thread. I would not be filtering hops, just recirculating wort from the mash through a mesh mash basket.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Mango Habenero Berliner Weisse
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Old 01-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #535
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrothOfVigor View Post
Boy did this thread reach a post limit or what? The silence is killing me! I hope I'm just the blind fool who has missed the follow-up thread.
I do know that Steve sold some of the parts used in this build a few months back, I don't know if that has halted his brewing on this system or not but I haven't seen too much of him on HBT in a little while.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 11-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #536
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Nah, I'm still alive Got away from brewing for a while....life got in the way, and my interests started to stray once I had pretty much built the system (minus a few filtering issues). I ended up selling off my stuff and getting into machine tools....I am rebuilding a lathe and mill right now....plenty to keep busy with there

I still am not 100% sure of the magic number, but it lies somewhere between 20x20 and 30x30 mesh. THESE GUYS have been discussing the proper filtration size for pellet hops in a smaller drop in basket. It seems 350-400 microns is about right but I don't know what that translates to in "grid" size.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #537
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Nah, I'm still alive Got away from brewing for a while....life got in the way, and my interests started to stray once I had pretty much built the system (minus a few filtering issues). I ended up selling off my stuff and getting into machine tools....I am rebuilding a lathe and mill right now....plenty to keep busy with there
Steve,
I followed your build from the start and you had a lot of fun with it it seems. Hope you got most of your investment back. As an OLD machinist, I'm with you on your interest in machining. Good luck and props on your build...

Old 11-26-2012, 01:10 AM   #538
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudbuster View Post
Steve,
I followed your build from the start and you had a lot of fun with it it seems. Hope you got most of your investment back. As an OLD machinist, I'm with you on your interest in machining. Good luck and props on your build...
Welllll...I got MOST of it back. When it comes to Ebay and Craigslist, people are looking for a deal. I sold my stuff off at prices that most of us would gloat about...I guess that's how it goes. BUT, I have a Van Norman 12 mill and a 10" Sheldon lathe......so I guess it all evens out

Quick Reply