HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Single Vessel, All Electric, NS, NC Brewery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #511
ScubaSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazzi View Post
+1 vote for stitching your videos together into one.

Looks awesome! I was thinking that you may have to resort to another vessel to hold your hops, as the mash filter and hop filter are performing two different tasks. One is filtering water, the other is filtering hops. Also, your hop filter doesn't really need to be so large, or so robust, so I was thinking of something similar to a tea strainer, but on a larger scale to accommodate more hops.
I definitely agree that they are performing 2 different functions, that most of the challenge....but one thing I'm thinking is that the hop vessel DOES need to be large, because I am trying to capture the benefits of free floating hops. When you put them in a bag they tend to become a "softball" and I'm pretty sure you're not getting as much utilization; especially when the pores of the mesh bag are immediately clogged by pellet hops, forming a "skin" that prevents good circulation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #512
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
I definitely agree that they are performing 2 different functions, that most of the challenge....but one thing I'm thinking is that the hop vessel DOES need to be large, because I am trying to capture the benefits of free floating hops. When you put them in a bag they tend to become a "softball" and I'm pretty sure you're not getting as much utilization; especially when the pores of the mesh bag are immediately clogged by pellet hops, forming a "skin" that prevents good circulation.
In the spirit of continuing to follow and eventually pirate your experience, I am extremely curious as to whether you can find an "ideal" mesh size that works well for both the mash and the hops.

On my next BIAB run, I may clean the bag after the mash and reuse it for the hops, and see how well it works. I have been having a few problems draining the wort from the kettle, from both the hot break and the hops, and when I get around to building the new rig I want to make sure that I solve that. I am not really picky about any of the kettle trub making into the fermentor, but I certainly want to avoid a clogged line.

FWIW, I use Irish Moss in the boil, drain directly into a Winpak for no-chill, and ferment right in it. After 3-4 weeks, I cold-crash, add gelatin after a few days, and siphon into the keg with a 1-gallon paint strainer over the input side of the auto-siphon. No matter how much gunk makes it from the kettle into the fermentor, it always settles out to yield clear beer.

Thanks again, oh pioneer.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #513
fugazzi
Recipes 

Quote:

Perhaps something like a vegetable steamer basket would work. Add some legs so it sits above the element, the bubbles can go around the rim, agitate the hop matter, and when the element is turned off, the sludge can settle on it.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #514
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

[QUOTE=jeffmeh;2693587]In the spirit of continuing to follow and eventually pirate your experience, I am extremely curious as to whether you can find an "ideal" mesh size that works well for both the mash and the hops.
QUOTE]

As am I...I am optimistic and think there IS a happy medium. There must be a mesh that can do a mash and also filter out the coarse matter in the pellet hop sludge without getting clogged. Then you could have something a bit more fine later on in the process. At least the overall bulk of it would be taken care of. McMaster sells a sample pack of mesh for like $20...that'd be a great way to do some tests....and you'd definitely be able to use the mesh for other stuff.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #515
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Alright y'all.....have a look at Gen 2 of THE BASKET!!!!

Old 03-04-2011, 02:48 AM   #516
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Alright y'all.....have a look at Gen 2 of THE BASKET!!!!
Looks great! Let us know how well it works out.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #517
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The design looks much improved, will you be using the fine screen bottom during the hop additions or just run it as is?

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 03-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #518
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

I'll just run it as is. The fine screen flipped up during the boil and became a joke in rapid fashion. The only thing that saved me was having filtration at the drain and hopback. Next beer I do will probably be an Arrogant Bastard clone....lots of hops, but not nearly as much as the last brew.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #519
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Okay, so I used the 6 mesh 2 layer setup yesterday doing an Arrogant Bastard clone. Five ounces of Chinook pellets. The bottom of perfed SS stopped a fair amount of sludge, but the screen on the side didn't stop any. The mash went pretty well, but I could see a fair amount of grain had made it through.....the mesh is simply too big! Two layers of 6 mesh doesn't equal 12 mesh. It just creates an area for stuff to get trapped in. I had a hell of a time cleaning the basket. SO, I need to change the mesh. I had quite a few clogs, but my SS scrubbie in the hopback module caught a lot of it. The perfed SS drain cover still stopped quite a bit of material....which is also contains quite a bit of hot break and "oatmeal" from the grain that made it through.

I want to go slightly smaller than the hole size on the perfed SS (3/32", which is 0.094"). It works out to be somewhere around 10 mesh....depending on the wire diameter. I'd like to keep the screen durable...0.028" wire diameter is very nice; I think I can go a little thinner and not sacrifice much.

The trick is to not go so small with the opening size that I'm back in the same boat with clogging the boil.

So here's what I'm thinking: Bazooka screens are 16 mesh, and they stop grain well but tend to lock up with pellets. So I need to go a little bigger. 10 mesh may still be too big. So I'm thinking of 12x12 mesh with a 0.018" wire diameter for an opening size of 0.065". Still 3 times bigger than the 30 mesh I started with (0.021" opening) and about half the size of the 6 mesh (0.139" opening).

What do you guys think? (yes, I know I'm collecting various sizes of wire mesh...but in this hobby, it WILL come in handy!)

Old 03-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #520
Bachhus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Do you think the 16 sized mesh would still be too small even though you should have a lot more surface area on your setup over the Bazooka screen? I think the smallest you can go with keeping the ability to flow your wart is obviously the goal to screen out the most junk. If 16x16 seems to filter the material than maybe having more surface area on your setup will solve the flow problem the Bazooka has with getting clogged.

Mark

Quick Reply