Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Single Vessel, All Electric, NS, NC Brewery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2010, 08:13 PM   #21
Boerderij_Kabouter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Very nice. A couple thoughts:

1) You could REALLY lower the profile by making this electric...I'm thinking 48" tall, max. I realize electric is not an option for everyone, though.

2) What size pot are you thinking about? I'm thinking 82 or 102 quart...mainly due to the basket size and limitations placed on grain weighty the 62 quart. I also looked at the Update International SS pots (identical to Megapots). You could modify this exactly how you want it, and it's much more durable than the Bayou Classic. Price for pot and basket would be just a little more (~$50) than Bayou Classic combo.

3) I could live with 2" dead space. You need some height to install the element nut and gasket properly, and some distance from the basket. The element should only be about 1.5" off the bottom.

4) What about more of a "belltower" configuration? Instead of one arm, why not have an arch. Just seems more symmetrical, and definitely stronger.
All great points. If electric is an option I think that is the way to go! The system in my blog was supposed to be super portable. Not everyone has 240VAC available in a brewing space so I stuck with propane on that one.

Yeah the Simple brewery is a good one. I will be building a second for myself in the next weeks. I'll update that thread. It is a two-vessel system that runs on a single 20amp 120VAC wall outlet. Run it in any kitchen or apartment!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #22
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts

Pelican Sky is acting crazy. I think you were looking at the 82qt, based on the SKU you listed on the parts list....?

Old 01-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #23
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Yeah... the link I posted takes me to the 82 qt. It doesn't when you click it???

Old 01-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #24
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Internet is kinda unreliable where I'm at...but I'm glad to have it.

You've given me a lot to think about. I'm amazed more people aren't doing this. Why have 3 vessels, etc. when you can have one? That way, you can focus on the bling!

Old 01-26-2010, 08:55 PM   #25
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
Yeah... the link I posted takes me to the 82 qt. It doesn't when you click it???
Any ideas on how you might line the basket? I'd like to do medium sized SS mesh for something more permanent, but I'm not sure about the best way to affix it to the inside.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #26
XXguy
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I like where all this is going. I've been considering a 2 vessel setup similar to the Brutus 20, but done with some gravity like Jkarp did. It would seem that adding the BIAB/stainless basket setup would really make that work well.

Those Pelican pots are quite a deal for the size of 'em.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:14 PM   #27
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Any ideas on how you might line the basket? I'd like to do medium sized SS mesh for something more permanent, but I'm not sure about the best way to affix it to the inside.
It is hard to argue with those grain bags. At a couple bucks a pop and being super easy to clean... SS mesh would work well too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXguy View Post
I like where all this is going. I've been considering a 2 vessel setup similar to the Brutus 20, but done with some gravity like Jkarp did. It would seem that adding the BIAB/stainless basket setup would really make that work well.

You may want to take a look at the Simple Brewery linked in my sig. Its just another option.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #28
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXguy View Post
Shipping charges aren't listed unless you set up an account. I've found these in the 180's with free shipping, though. Seems like a good deal since you're getting the basket as well.....but man, those Megapots sure are nice. I really like the Blichmann's too (especially the sight gauge), but they already have a diptube that will get in the way and I wouldn't feel right drilling into a $400 pot!

Old 01-26-2010, 09:59 PM   #29
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

I have a small present for you.... coolumb

E-SVS

I can work on the lifting fixture later. I am thinking it would be cool to have the lift fixture mounted to the wall....

Old 01-26-2010, 11:42 PM   #30
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 17

This looks very promising.

So how much vertical space is beneath the basket on the Bayou Classic 82 qt pot as it sits naturally, and how much would there be if one raised it as high as possible while still being able to put on the lid?

Also, I am still unclear as to why a RIMS tube would be necessary, when there is already a heater element in the pot. Could one not just recirculate from the bottom of the pot into the top of the basket, using a PID on the heater element in the pot?

Inquiring minds want to know....

Quick Reply