Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Single Vessel, All Electric, NS, NC Brewery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #11
sjlammer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think you have a solid concept. I have a couple observations/ questions.

1) What is you water to grain ratio during mashing? The electric element is going to create a TON of dead space. I think it would be very hard to get 1.25 qt/pound. In my E-keggle, i need 4 gallons to immerse the heater.

2) If you are going to CIP, i would strongly encourage you to go with a center bottom drain, rather than a dip tube. It is very hard to get all the crud out with a dip tube (especially the floating type).

3) If you are using an electric element, i would not spend a ton of money on a fancy Kettle. Half the cost of the fancy kettle is in the 3 ply bottom, which is not needed if you are not firing the kettle with a burner.

4) The false bottom is probably not necessary. let the basket stand on the bottom of the kettle

5) You may want a different or longer tube for racking. The picture shows you spraying hot wort into the top of the corney. Although this may just be schematic in nature, i figured i'd mention it.

Good luck, and post some pictures when you get building

On Deck: Spruce APA, Chambord Fortified Chocolate Porter, Imperial IPA

Primary:
Primary:
Secondary: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Conical:
Lagering: None
Kegged/Drinking: Cascade, Cent., Amarillo Pale Ale
Kegged/Drinking: Belgian Pale Ale (HG yeast for yeast cropping see above)
Bottled: ESB

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #12
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlammer View Post
I think you have a solid concept. I have a couple observations/ questions.

1) What is you water to grain ratio during mashing? I was hoping not to compromise, doing the normal 1.25-1.5 qt/lb. The electric element is going to create a TON of dead space. I think it would be very hard to get 1.25 qt/pound. In my E-keggle, i need 4 gallons to immerse the heater.This is good to know. If I were to take out the false bottom and mount the element as low as possible, this would mitigate dead space. I'd probably go with a 25 gallon pot that is 21" high, and a 20 gallon basket that is 13.25" high. I need to still be able to put the lid on while mashing, etc.

2) If you are going to CIP, i would strongly encourage you to go with a center bottom drain, rather than a dip tube. It is very hard to get all the crud out with a dip tube (especially the floating type). Tremendous idea!!!! I'm all about the "100% Drained" concept. I'd really like to do this....it's just a challenge to mount, etc. and I'm not a welder. But I could probably solder a coupler in. What kinda screens could I put over the hole?

3) If you are using an electric element, i would not spend a ton of money on a fancy Kettle. Half the cost of the fancy kettle is in the 3 ply bottom, which is not needed if you are not firing the kettle with a burner. Not to mention it'd be like drilling into a bank vault. Stiil, I can get a "fancy kettle" from morebeer/NB for $150-$200 less than Blichmann. The sight gauges and snap in dip tubes are sweeeeet though.

4) The false bottom is probably not necessary. let the basket stand on the bottom of the kettleNot possible with an element, but I'd probably put 2 "U" shaped bars in paralell or some kinda legs on the bottom for a standoff distance from the element. (Kinda hard to see in the photo)

5) You may want a different or longer tube for racking. The picture shows you spraying hot wort into the top of the corney. Although this may just be schematic in nature, I figured I'd mention it.That's loc-line. I'm open to other options, but it is non-collapsible, rated for temp, and stays in the position you bend it. In short, it is the balls. The nozzle probably wouldn't be there, as I wouldn't want to "spray" wort.

Good luck, and post some pictures when you get building
SEE COMMENTS ABOVE. Thanks...this is all purely in my head at this stage. To fund it, I would need to sell a couple of my nice plasma cut and welded kegs, a march pump, and prolly some other stuff. I wanna be sure it's worth taking THAT big of a plunge

Old 01-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #13
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

After doing some research, it looks like the Bayou Classic stockpots are a good option because they are made to fit together. A couple things:

1)The basket IS about 4" shorter. this amounts to about 4 gallons of dead space. It could make 5 gallon batches impossible because the mash would be too high in the pot. Not sure how to combat this. Glass beads? Longer boil?

2)After crunching numbers, the 82 qt (20 gal) pot has a basket which is about 50 qt (13gal). Likewise, the 102 qt (25 gal) pot has a basket around 75 qt (~19 gal). Buyer beware if you plan on using the basket as a MLT!

Right now I'm either thinking of going with a Megapot (best quality option) and modding it....adding a basket with legs, or just getting a Bayou Classic w/basket (most economic option).

Old 01-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #14
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
After doing some research, it looks like the Bayou Classic stockpots are a good option because they are made to fit together. A couple things:

1)The basket IS about 4" shorter. this amounts to about 4 gallons of dead space. It could make 5 gallon batches impossible because the mash would be too high in the pot. Not sure how to combat this. Glass beads? Longer boil?

2)After crunching numbers, the 82 qt (20 gal) pot has a basket which is about 50 qt (13gal). Likewise, the 102 qt (25 gal) pot has a basket around 75 qt (~19 gal). Buyer beware if you plan on using the basket as a MLT!

Right now I'm either thinking of going with a Megapot (best quality option) and modding it....adding a basket with legs, or just getting a Bayou Classic w/basket (most economic option).
I believe that the Bayou Classic pots have two different configurations, one that has an indentation in the pot that catches the top lip of the basket and holds it off the bottom (steamer option), and another with a full-size basket that sits in the bottom of the pot. From what I could find on the 62 quart steamer, there is only about 2 inches below the basket, so that would be about two gallons. Of course, this assumes that the description is accurate. I agree that the other option is to buy the pot and basket separately, and put the basket on some legs. I would want enough space to plumb valves and the like, but not so much space for the reasons you stated.

"The Bayou Classic 62 Quart Stainless Steel Stock Pot includes the 62 quart stainless steel stock pot, 62 quart stainless steel stock pot basket and stainless steel lid. The Bayou Classic stainless steel stock pots are made of high gauge, restaurant quality stainless steel. This stock pot does have Bayou Classic’s steaming capabilities. The Bayou Classic 62 quart stainless steel stock pot has an indention which holds the stock pot basket off the bottom. This gives you about two inches in the bottom for your liquid for perfect steaming. The Bayou Classic 62 Quart Stainless Steel Stock Pot is the perfect addition to any cooking environment. It also features a vented lid and heavy duty riveted handles. The Bayou Classic 62 Quart Stainless Steel Stock Pot measures 15 1/4 inches x 18 ¾ inches. The 62 quart stainless steel stock pot basket measures 14 inches by 14 5/8 inches. These pots may be used in a commercial atmosphere. All Bayou Classic Stainless Steel Stock Pots are a thicker gauge and grade than most of your stainless steel stock pots. The grade of the stainless steel is 304 and the gauge is 18/8 stainless steel."

Old 01-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #15
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts

On lunch break don't have time to read your post in detail now. I will later.

Briefly, yes I think it will work.

http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Boerde...Vessel_System/

I have several parts lists if you are interested.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #16
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
FWIW, I guess you could still go with the bag in the basket, but with the SS screen that McMaster sells, you've got a more permanent option that will clean up well. It's 100% food grade, as well.
Could you post a link to this, please?

Old 01-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #17
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post

Man, I wish I had your skills on Sketchup. Every guy has to have skills....fighting skills, bowhunting skills.....

Don't know how I missed this....I read through your whole "simple" system thread....I think that one had 2 vessels, though. I also dig that toolbox control panel!

I'll take a look...

Old 01-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #18
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Could you post a link to this, please?
I'll do you one better. Search for BobbyM's DIY hopstopper thread. He discussed screen mesh pretty thoroughly and gives part numbers. For this application, I'd go significantly bigger on my mesh for a very coarse filter. Close to a perforated SS false bottom....maybe even bigger on the bottom drain.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #19
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post

Very nice. A couple thoughts:

1) You could REALLY lower the profile by making this electric...I'm thinking 48" tall, max. I realize electric is not an option for everyone, though.

2) What size pot are you thinking about? I'm thinking 82 or 102 quart...mainly due to the basket size and limitations placed on grain weighty the 62 quart. I also looked at the Update International SS pots (identical to Megapots). You could modify this exactly how you want it, and it's much more durable than the Bayou Classic. Price for pot and basket would be just a little more (~$50) than Bayou Classic combo.

3) I could live with 2" dead space. You need some height to install the element nut and gasket properly, and some distance from the basket. The element should only be about 1.5" off the bottom.

4) What about more of a "belltower" configuration? Instead of one arm, why not have an arch. Just seems more symmetrical, and definitely stronger.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #20
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts

OK. After review, this is the same system that I designed and we discussed here earlier. It is a great design and will work great! Go ahead!!!

I would remove the FB, it won't be doing anything for you.

This is the pot I designed around:

https://www.pelicansky.com/productde...?id=118&cat=66

Quick Reply