New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Single tier - why not 2 burner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #21
dcbc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I started with a two burner 3 vessel system (burners under the HLT and BK). Coming from coolers and batch sparging, I went with a kettle because I was afraid I would melt my cooler. Insulated the kettle and it worked okay, but I really wanted to maintain temperature in my mash. I decided on a direct fired MLT RIMS setup with Blichmann TOP controllers. This involved another trip to the welder to add a windscreen and burner support. Suffice it to say, this would have been less expensive to have added when I first had the stand built. That's why I am a fan of building a stand once to meet anything you think you might ever want to do. This is not quite as necessary if you know how to weld. But if you are having it built, go with 3 burners. Pay once, cry once.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #22
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Why 3 burners:
3 burners are used for the following applications:
HERMS
Direct Fired RIMS
E-RIMS tube with burner fallback
Most E-RIMS systems do not have a third burner.

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 01-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #23
Hypnolobster
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
It does?!?! I'm actually confused now.

I guess the one thing I can suggest is doing lots of homework! I've never seen a three burner stand, and yet you've never NOT seen one, so that just goes to show you how many versions of brewstands there can be.
Well, here's mine. Now you've seen at least one single tier with 3 burners.

I batch sparge most of the time. By the time I'm draining the first runnings into the BK, I have the BK fired and the HLT has my sparge water up to temp and waiting to pump into the MLT. Works great, impossible without 3 burners. I heat my strike water directly in the MLT, and use the MLT burner to maintain and raise the mash temp.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #24
dcbc
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Here's my 3 burner.

Quick Reply