The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Single stage fermentation only

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
jordanpace
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default Single stage fermentation only

I have a question about just doing a single stage fermentation with my conical fermenter.

I have some instructions that I am looking at to do a test brew session (since i've never brewed before) and it only has two stage fermentation instructions.

Since I have a conical fermenter, I should just need to do a single stage right?
Do I just ferment and leave everything in the fermenter until the final specific gravity should be 1.008? (its a stella artois clone)

Sorry guys, just kind of confused about this whole process.. lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
jdoiv

Recipes 

Yeah, just leave everything in the fermenter until you reach FG. You can dump the trub from the bottom after the krausen falls if you like. I usually don't. If you are doing a stella clone, are you going to be using a lager yeast? If so, do you have a way to maintain ferment temps in the 58-55*F range? If not, you may want to try an ale first. Lagers are a bit difficult. Also, if it is a lager, you'll need to lager (cold-condition it) after ferment is done. This means dropping the temp down to 34-40 degrees for several weeks. You can do this in the fermenter if it is in a fridge or a carboy or keg if you have one.

BTW, what kind of conical fermenter do you have?

Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 10-30-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
srm775
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You also might want to start with a kit or at least partial mash before jumping into all-grain.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:36 PM   #4
jordanpace
Recipes 

yeah it is a lager.. i will be using white labs czech budejovice lager yeast.

I've started to build a fridge like room in my garage where i can control the temperature to around 50 - 75 degrees (depending on what i am fermenting)

I also have a box freezer that i have an external control for to keep the temp at what i want.
I've thought about doing something more basic but I already have this kit so i thought i'd go ahead and use it. It is a 10 gallon stella artois lager kit.

The conical fermenter i have is a 27 gallon stainless steel one i got from northern brewer.

Would I run into any problems fermenting 10 gallons in a 27 gallon fermenter?

Old 10-30-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Man, talk about jumping in head first - many of us dream of having anything as nice as a 27-gal stainless conical fermenter, and you go and buy one before you've even brewed for the first time... Feel like buying me some brewing equipment too while you're at it?

Wish I had some answers to your questions, but unfortunately I'm not lucky enough to have had any first-hand experience with a conical

Old 10-30-2007, 07:50 PM   #6
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanpace
...The conical fermenter i have is a 27 gallon stainless steel one i got from northern brewer....
I'm pretty sure you're not really going to enjoy brewing beer. It’s a lot of work and not real rewarding…or addicting…or fun…or rewarding.

I’m pretty darn sure you ought to just ship me all your equipment right away and avoid the inevitable disappointment.

You could do a 20-gallon batch with that bad-boy.

You can definitely do a single stage fermentation in a conical. The only drawback is that by doing so, you’re tying up that beautiful piece of stainless steel when it should be constantly brewing.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:12 PM   #7
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
I'm pretty sure you're not really going to enjoy brewing beer. It’s a lot of work and not real rewarding…or addicting…or fun…or rewarding.

I’m pretty darn sure you ought to just ship me all your equipment right away and avoid the inevitable disappointment.

You could do a 20-gallon batch with that bad-boy.

You can definitely do a single stage fermentation in a conical. The only drawback is that by doing so, you’re tying up that beautiful piece of stainless steel when it should be constantly brewing.
Nah.. you don't want to send it to BM... he's pretty rough on his equipment... send it to me and I'll take good care of it for you
Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Where's my beer. I know I left it around here somewhere.....
Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown
Primary:empty

Old 10-30-2007, 08:22 PM   #8
jordanpace
Recipes 

lol
i'll think about that

thanks for the information as well!

I might actually hold off on the Stella for awhile until i get a good grip on how this brewing process works. It does seem a little more complicated doing a lager than an ale.. and as complicated as this process is right now to me, i might just want to do an ale first.. lol

but as far as fermenting a 10 gallon batch in a 27 gallon fermenter, there is no problem?

Old 10-30-2007, 08:29 PM   #9
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts

Shouldn't be, but the less head space the better.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:56 PM   #10
srm775
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanpace
I might actually hold off on the Stella for awhile until i get a good grip on how this brewing process works. It does seem a little more complicated doing a lager than an ale.. and as complicated as this process is right now to me, i might just want to do an ale first.. lol
Start off with a good IPA or APA. Fairly easy and forgiving ale. Another choice maybe a decent wheat or hefe, since they're not really complicated and they yeast tend to dominate.

Quick Reply