HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > single point level switch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
beerbeer95648
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default single point level switch

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...FRSVfgodzXsA9g

I have a couple surplus float valves that I have had for years which are very similar to the link above. I want to hook it up to control my march pump which pulls out of a grant. I havent a clue how to do this. Do I need a relay? Can I just wire it into an outlet box like this:

I have been researching this on this site, and it seems simple, but I still want to make sure I am safe.

Thanks for any help you guys have.

Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
WPStrassburg
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The usplastics one is only good for 30 watts and wouldn't support the power draw of a march pump, so you may need to check your floats ratings, but normally they are only used for pilot duty with a relay. If you have 2 set them up with a relay in a latching circuit and you can switch the pump on and off over a greater level rather than 1/4" or so of travel on the single float so you're not banging the pump on/off every 3 seconds.

quick google with no guarantee it is right just to give you an idea of a circuit layout.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
WissaBrewGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I made a similar circuit as above for a water storage tank (nothing to do with brewing) but I used an Arduino microprocessor to control the pump. This latching circuit is a great way to save your pump from toggling on and off every couple seconds. To answer your question directly, I agree with WPS, it depends on the float switch but in general a float switch should turn a relay on and off which will control your pump.

Success is buried in the garden of failure - Rick Wakeman

Quick Reply