Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > single or dual stage controller?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2009, 05:49 AM   #1
yeoldebrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default single or dual stage controller?

Need opinions, please...

I just purchased a used refrigerator to use as a fermentation chamber. So now I'm looking at temperature controllers. I think I've narrowed choices between a digital for either cooling or heating mode, or a dual stage. I take it the dual stage does both without re-programming?

The fridge sits in the garage where it will see some large temperature swings in the spring and fall; so I'm leaning towards a dual stage setup.

Does using a heating element inside of a fridge require drilling holes in the wall of the fridge? Is this any big deal? What would be the best supplier for a 'plug and play' dual range controller?

Thanks

My airlock passes gas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 11

LOVE TSS2-2100

For an extra $30, you can have complete control over any temperature range. The $30 includes a small heater. Check out my sig (side-by-side Chamber) to see how it works.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:19 AM   #3
yeoldebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks, Kabouter. That's a really awesome pictorial.

True to form, I found the good info here after I had already posted.

My airlock passes gas.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
JustinB
Recipes 

Default 2 single stage temperature controllers?

Kabouter,

I read your "Side-by-side Fermentation Chamber" post and while that is an awesome project I simply have no idea how to do any wiring (nor do I have any of the tools needed to complete a project like that). I am thinking about buying a chest freezer to use as a fermentation chamber but am concerned that a single stage controller won't be adequate for temperature swings during the day and at night.

Is there any reason I couldn't just utilize 2 single stage temperature controllers - one for the chest freezer for cooling purposes and one for a heating pad inside the freezer for warming purposes? I realize this might be slightly more expensive but it should be really quick to set up and wouldn't require much knowledge or tools.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Old 01-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
JustinB
Recipes 

Anyone out there?

Old 01-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

i recommend the dual stage. its good for both cooling AND heating at the same time. grate for those days when the high is above your fermentation temp and the lows are below your target temp.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:48 AM   #7
JustinB
Recipes 

I want to be able to heat and cool at the same time, but I don't know how to wire the Love controller like Kabouter described in his post. I was thinking I could use two separate pre-wired controllers (like the Johnson or Ranco I can buy at Austin Homebrew) and set them up together to replicate a true two stage controller like Kabouter described. Would this work, or is there an easier way to do this?

Old 01-15-2010, 01:00 AM   #8
MikeinAK
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes. - It two prewired controllers would work just fine. You would be throwing away money.

The easiest way would be to use a dual stage controller.

If you can't follow Kabouter's wiring diagram for the controller you need to hire an electrician.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinB View Post
I want to be able to heat and cool at the same time, but I don't know how to wire the Love controller like Kabouter described in his post. I was thinking I could use two separate pre-wired controllers (like the Johnson or Ranco I can buy at Austin Homebrew) and set them up together to replicate a true two stage controller like Kabouter described. Would this work, or is there an easier way to do this?
you can buy the two stage Ronco controllers already wired from MoreBeer.com.... when they are back in stock. its more expensive but that is to be expected.

the only problem i can see with your idea is trying to connect both controllers to a thermowell stopper or cap. if thats not an issue for you then yea it should work.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #10
JustinB
Recipes 

Thanks for the heads up on the pre-wired Ranco from MoreBeer.com. They are on backorder at MoreBeer, but I think I found the same controller from another vendor. Could someone take a look and let me know if this is what I need?
http://www.rancoetc.com/ranco-etc211000000-stage-prewired-temperature-controller-p-110.html
Thanks!

Quick Reply