Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > simple temp controlled mash tun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
sorefingers23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default simple temp controlled mash tun

i would like to make a simple temp controlled mash tun, either from a cooler or a keg. Is there any ways i can do this without costing a fortune, and still get good control of my temps?

im currently using a coleman 48qt cooler, and it not very good at maintaing my mash temps.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
dcbc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 19

What kind of mashtun do you have now? Do you have a pump? Do you use gas or electric? What level of automation do you want? Just holding temperature is pretty easy with a cooler once you get it where you want.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
thargrav
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbc View Post
What kind of mashtun do you have now? Do you have a pump? Do you use gas or electric? What level of automation do you want? Just holding temperature is pretty easy with a cooler once you get it where you want.
I agree, also it's hard to heat mash with a submerged heater without scorching the grain that's touching the heater. At a minimum you need some sort of circulation. In my opinion the best solution is to use a GOTT cooler and build a RIMS tube - that's what I did.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/jus...4/#post4399745

Quick Reply