Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Silicone Tubing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #51
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Yes, on the suction side of the pump the 1/16" wall is problematic. Actually you don't even need a pump to see this issue. Even the low pressure created when gravity draining will tend to collapse the walls if your dip/siphon tube or hose barb offers any resistance at all. I have 1/8" wall on all my stuff and I'd even appreciate going up to 7/8" OD or 3/16" wall. The 1/8" wall is the happy medium between performance and price though.
Thanks Bobby, that's what I thought would be the case. I have got some of the 1/16" WT stuff coming for pump discharge hoses and bought the 1/8" WT stuff for the suction lines. I thought this should be alright compramise between cost and usability. I have hear of people using vinyl to support the 1/16" stuff but I think unless you dead head/restrict after the hose the stuff it would be hard to get over the 5 psi limit...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #52
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
Cab you let us know a bit more? what is so bad about it? was it the suction hoses or the discharge hoses you had issues with? Did it blow up/kink/something else?
What Bobby said is correct. I was going to say also that the thin wall tends to get pinholes VERY quickly. And it's like a fracking wet noodle. Avoid at all costs.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #53
mattd2
Recipes 

Well I have already ordered the 1/16" WT and based on what Joel has said I think it should be fine, as long as I treat it right and don't do silly things like clean it with an air compressor it should be fine.
What are you doing to your hose to get pinholes in them? Dragging them around on the floor? From what I have seen silicone has very poor abrasion resistance so any tube will suffer if you don't treat it well.
I have seen another build with 2mm WT tube that has had no issues at all, he even had to use a short (very short) section of it between his pump and throttling valve as the pump only had barbed hose tails on the housing!

Old 02-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #54
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 91

The pinholes form at the hose barb and are from the line being stretched repeatedly as you disconnect your QD. This even happens over time with the thicker wall hoses.

Just a fact of life. Hoses wear out, thinner wall even more fast. Silicone is flimsy, get the thick wall.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #55
GNBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
Well I have already ordered the 1/16" WT and based on what Joel has said I think it should be fine, as long as I treat it right and don't do silly things like clean it with an air compressor it should be fine.
What are you doing to your hose to get pinholes in them? Dragging them around on the floor? From what I have seen silicone has very poor abrasion resistance so any tube will suffer if you don't treat it well.
I have seen another build with 2mm WT tube that has had no issues at all, he even had to use a short (very short) section of it between his pump and throttling valve as the pump only had barbed hose tails on the housing!
Again, for as inexpensive as it is, a guy could go out to the local big-box hardware store and buy some vinyl tubing to slip over the outside for reinforcement (on bends, or even the entire run).

Old 02-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #56
mattd2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNBrews View Post
Again, for as inexpensive as it is, a guy could go out to the local big-box hardware store and buy some vinyl tubing to slip over the outside for reinforcement (on bends, or even the entire run).
Yeah the guy I saw using the 2mm had a similar plan on his first brew to support the hose if it needed to, but he never had to actually use it. He had 2mm WT tube but I have never seen this anywhere but the craftbrewer.com.au site so I wonder if it is actually 2mm or 1.6mm since it just list the ID & OD (and their "heavy duty" stuff is ID 12.7 OD 20 which equals 3.65 WT - and considering NB3/4" pipe is know as NB20 pipe I think they have made a mistake... suprisingly when I emailed them to check this out I got no reply )

Old 02-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #57
mattd2
Recipes 

I just got my lot of 1/16 wall thickness tube the other night and ran a cold/hot water test on it. Only got to 185°F but I did dead headed the pump against a valve on the kettle (by accident of cause), i.e. suction hose (1/8")-> pump -> throtling valve (full open) -> discharge tube (1/16") -> closed valve. The hose didn't bulge or anything (all that happened was a slight bit more water leaks out of the camlock/hosetail connect that I ran out of threadtap to seal properly!). Oh and my pump is a Resun/Iwaki MD40 = 85w or 1/12 HP

Quick Reply