The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Silicone Spray to reduce AC freeze ups?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
nealperkins
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Silicone Spray to reduce AC freeze ups?

I have a walk-in fridge that is prone to freezing up during the summer due to high humidity. I've done various things to improve the situation but have a specific question regarding advisability of using silicone spray (or some such product) as a way to reduce the moisture and then ice on the evaporation coil.

Any specific experience?

Any thoughts/suggestions related to the above?

Your help is appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

It doesn't prevent ice formation, but spraying with silicone can make defrosting easier.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
nealperkins

Recipes 

Geez, that would help!!!

Do you have some experience with that? Any gotchas or problems with it?

Old 09-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 366

can you just put a dehumidifier in there?

Old 09-17-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I read somewhere that you can mitigate icing problems by installing an auxiliary fan to move more air past the evaporator coils. I think that you might also be able to use a timer to force a defrost period. It would probably require some experimentation to find the optimum setting, but I think it would be worth a try and the timers are cheap. Maybe something like 1/2 hr off and 2 hrs on for starters would be something to try. You can buy cheap timers at Home Depot or Lowes for about $10. I have not tried this, but it seems like it ought to work. How well, I do not know.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
v2comp
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

you cant fix it and it will just get worse, I will be there sunday to take it off your hands and scrap it for you just have out in the driveway and I will pick it up for you!

I second an auxillary fan blowing on the evaporator coils if you can. also, you can get some desiccant buckets and place them inside the box. you can make them cheap with 5 gallon buckets filled halfway with silica gel.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
nealperkins

Recipes 

There has been a fair sized fan running continuously for quite a while...and it helps but does not solve the problem. Of course, any progress is good progress.

By the way, if I'd know how much hassle this would turn out to be, I would not have built it. And, if you want to take it off my hands...its gonna be more trouble than you're planning. But, I haven't given up yet.

Yes, I've tried the dehumidifier. They create heat you know. Didn't work.

Silica Gel works in a contained space, like my earlier freezer; but, with an active air flow over the coils, the freeze up occurs before the gel can function.

Back to the silicone spray - any problems with this? (remember any progress gets me closer to my goal, and/or makes the situation better. The plastic air curtain made things better too.)

Thanks

Old 09-17-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I would at least give the silicone spray a try and see what happens. How well is the walk-in sealed up? Anything you can do to minimize air leaks will help reduce the icing. This may fall under the stupid questions heading, but I'll ask anyway. Does the AC unit have a "vent" mode where it could be drawing in outside air? If so, are you certain that it's turned off? Not all units have this feature, but some do and it's not always clear which way to position the control lever that operates the vent. How long can you run the unit before it begins to ice up? I still think that forcing a defrost cycle occasionally using a timer might be the solution.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:38 PM   #9
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Some manufactures have 'add on' thermostats that you clip to AC evaporator coils that turn off the compressor when it starts to freeze up. If your appliance parts repair company can't help you try something like a Ranco.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:10 PM   #10
P-J
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

You want to fix the problem? Take a look at this product: CoolBot

I saw this before (I'm not affiliated in any way) and it seems it might work really well for your situation. The way I understand the way it works, the unit monitors the room temperature of your walkin, monitors the temperature on the cooling coils and then can apply heat to the AC coil sensor to trick the AC into doing the task without freezing up. They have a good description of the unit on their site.

Something to consider.

Edit: I tested the link and it took me somewhere else. You might have to copy/paste the URL in a new browser. http://www.storeitcold.com

Another thought. Try this URL http://www.franklinbrew.org/members/sj/walkin.html It might work for you.

Quick Reply