Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > silicone for mash tun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
smitte10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default silicone for mash tun

Hey guys im making the move to all grain and started my mash tun build. All was well till the test fill the way I did it I got some leaks.

So I started reading about sealents and found alot of people using dap silicone. So I started diging through my tool box and I have white dap window door and siding silicone it says its 100% silicone.

So my question is any resone I cant use this or am I good to go I mean silicone is silicone alot of people say only use fish tank silicone but thats just the same stuff in different packaging at a marked up rate the only thing im concerned about is its white but once dry I dont see why this would be a problem.

Thanks in advance for all your help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
Snicklefritz
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I don't see any reason why not. I just looked up the product on the DAP website and the only thing I see is that its not rated for continuous underwater use. I would hardly call a mash tun continuous use so I think it should be fine.

I used this stuff on my electric element and from what I can tell the DAP stuff is no different other than the USDA approval.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004V40R2M

Old 09-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
smitte10
Recipes 

Awsome thanks for your speed respone I appreciate that alot.

I figured it would be fine seeing as its 100% but I can never hurt to ask plus it gave me a reason to join yet another forum lol.

Im still a newb at all this so im sure you guys will be hearing from me more. My first extract batch will be ready to drink on sunday american pale ale from brewers best I cant wait.

Quick Reply