Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Sight Glass with Thermometer back in stock

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #41
MikeG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I'll also keep an eye on this, I would prefer the combo so as to not drill two holes and would like a thermometer built in. Starting volume at 2.75 Gal is fine, I'm more interested in pre and post boil volumes range of 5-12 gal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2010, 02:43 AM   #42
dford
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'll order a couple when you get them back in stock

Old 04-16-2010, 04:54 AM   #43
DocBrown
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonZwicky View Post
In addition to Chainsaw's advice, I'd recommend (if you want to be more accurate) that you make sure your kettle is perfectly level before you calibrate. A modest lean can cause the wort level in the sightglass to be off, and inconsistant in the future, if the kettle is leveled differently.
Just thought I'd add one note before anyone gets too paranoid about whether their pot was sufficiently level when originally calibrated. It is fairly important to get the pot level to get a correct absolute measure of the volume in the pot. However, relative amounts will be completely accurate even if the pot is at a fairly modest angle to what it was when calibrated. Specifically, if the pot was tipped a bit to one side when you originally calibrated it, you might read 3.5 gallons when there are actually 4 gallons in the pot. However, if the level in the site glass goes from 6 down to 4, you really did get 2 gallons out, even if the pot is tipped a bit to one side.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:17 AM   #44
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

That's true but I think absolute measure is half the fun of having a sightglass, especially if you fill your vessels from a hose and not a premeasuring bucket.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #45
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
That's true but I think absolute measure is half the fun of having a sightglass, especially if you fill your vessels from a hose and not a premeasuring bucket.
+1
It's also more important in the BK.

Bobby - Got the vinyl letters I ordered yesterday. Hopefully, I'll be trying them out this weekend!

Thanks!

Old 04-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #46
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Ed, I should have a video up tonight showing exactly how I apply these. It's not that it's hard but you might see something you didn't think of.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #47
mitch171
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I hope these will be back in stock soon. I will order when they are!

Old 04-19-2010, 12:39 AM   #48
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I hope so too. I have a small lot of thermometers on their way right now but a much larger order is due mid May and from there, I should have them in stock for a while. Thanks for your patience guys.

New Stuff?

Old 04-19-2010, 12:58 AM   #49
mitch171
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

It there anyway you could get thermometers with a longer probe? LOL. Anyway, thought I would ask since you are ordering.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:23 AM   #50
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Longer than what, 4"? The standard I've been using is 4" probe which sticks into the vessel long enough to not be affected by the heat in the pot. What would you do with a longer probe?

New Stuff?

Quick Reply