Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Sight Glass with Thermometer back in stock

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #21
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1012 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The combo units require a slight compromise for sure. Sight glasses work best installed as low as possible. However, you don't want excessive heat on the fitting whether it's a plain sight kit or the combo. Also, this setup uses a 4" probe and the temp is registered mostly in the first 1" tip. About 2" sticks into the vessel. In other words, it doesn't read hot because it's sitting in the middle of a lot of liquid.

I recently installed a kit in Sirsloop's new Keg HLT/BK and the center punch for the 9/16" hole was about 3/4" higher than the skirt weld. The sight starts reading at 2.75 gallons.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 11:01 PM   #22
jamest22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Bobby, got my combo unit in the mail today and installed it this afternoon. Looks great. My rig is coming right along. Thanks.

Any suggestions for marking off the gallons on the sight glass? I am using thin slices of electrical tape to mark off half gallons for now.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:42 PM   #23
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Nothing amazingly elegant but I always wanted to get a roll of automotive pin striping tape to wrap around the tube since it has a really good adhesive and is waterproof.

Looking good. I like like the grated bottom on that stand. My solid sheet gets nasty when I have drips. By the way, that polycarbonate cuts easily with a hack saw if you wanted it to be even with the top.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #24
firefly765
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Is the purpose of the sightglass for reading how much liquid is in the pot?
Is the "Glass" made of glass & fragile? I'm very accident prone, wouldn't want to break it! NOOBIE!

Old 03-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #25
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Yes, the purpose is to see/measure the liquid level at any time. In a hot liquor tank, it's mostly about filling direct from a hose without having to premeasure in a bucket. For a boil kettle, it's to measure your mash runnings and gauge your boiloff volume.

These kits use polycarbonate tubing which is what they make bulletproof glass out of. It's not delicate at all.

New Stuff?

Old 03-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #26
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamest22 View Post
Any suggestions for marking off the gallons on the sight glass? I am using thin slices of electrical tape to mark off half gallons for now.
I made labels for each 1/2 gallon in word, then printed them to clear avery labels on a laser printer. Seems to work pretty well so far.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 03-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #27
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

That's a pretty good idea. I know craft stores also sell sheets of tiny vinyl stick on letters and numbers that can be used. If you really want to go nuts, you can have a printing/sign shop make you all weather vinyl numbers.

New Stuff?

Old 03-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #28
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Woohoo for the sale, just put in my order. Will it do any damage to the 0-200 thermo if i have it in a BK?

Old 03-24-2010, 03:25 AM   #29
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I don't think it will be a problem at all. The needle will just go past the 200F mark.

New Stuff?

Old 03-24-2010, 03:28 AM   #30
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Excellent.

Thanks for the quick shipping!!

Quick Reply