New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Show off your brew setup!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2006, 07:00 AM   #101
Seveneer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer4breakfast
That is awesome, Phil. Electric, eh? That must take a fair amount of juice to boil a 10 gallon batch on electricity.

Those are nice looking plastic fermenters you have there. That's HDPE, isn't it? Are you concerned about oxygen permeability?
Thanks, I only completed this set up a few weeks ago

The kettle and HLT both have two elements. Each element draws 10A but I have installed a new 30A circuit with only two sockets so I can only have two of the elements on at any time to guard against overloading. So at any one time I can use both elements on the kettle, both on the HLT or one on each.

It only takes one element to keep 12 imperial gallons at a fast boil.

The heat exchanger is capable of drawing 10 amps but due to the small capacity of it the duty cycle is very small and the average load is fairly small. And the pumps and controller draw a minimal amount of current.

Don't know what the fermenters are made of but in 20 plus years I've never lost a batch due to oxygen permeability.

/Phil.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2006, 04:00 AM   #102
JoeRags
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Mash
When I do big beers I mash in 75+ lbs of grain and doing that alone is not easy so I came up with my own grain hopper. Along with an electric mud mixer I can mash in fairly quickly....

Monster Mash- Do you mind me asking how large your vessels are (HLT, MT, and boiler)? How large of a batch do you run?

Thanks

Awesome setup...

Old 10-30-2006, 01:18 PM   #103
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biermann
I've been promising to show off my new fermentor when it came in. I finally found the camera (wife finally told me where she keeps it)

I know its not a "brew set up," but what the hey anyway. . .

talk about sexy....wow

Old 10-30-2006, 03:46 PM   #104
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 577 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Here's my setup:

Most of the links in my signature will point you to a portion of this rig. I use a Ranco 2-stage temperature controller with the A/C unit and a little space heater to maintain fermentation temps. Brewed with it for the first time yesterday. Check out the brew closet link in my signature for the details. So far I'm very pleased, now I just have to dial in my techniques!

Old 10-30-2006, 03:51 PM   #105
40oz
Recipes 

I didn't thinka piece of metal could turn me on

I'm a noob still on the stove but saw a similar set up that most displayed here on my way walking out of a halloween carnival with the kids in this guys garage (3 step tier). My wife looked at it and told me that's what I need to do and get out of her kitchen. I stopped by and talked with him briefly but didn't get a chance to ask about his setup.

He had a propane burner on the ground (which is what i'm looking for as I type to buy) and a 2 step process. I'm guessing the top tier is where it ferments then bottom for bottling. On some of the pics I see a wort burning up on the ground and 3 more alum some kegs on the step tier. Why 3? Fermment, filter ferment the a bottling of prep for kegging?

Anyhow anjoyed your pics of the setups, seems I need to spend alot of time here now reading

Old 10-30-2006, 04:03 PM   #106
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz
He had a propane burner on the ground (which is what i'm looking for as I type to buy) and a 2 step process. I'm guessing the top tier is where it ferments then bottom for bottling. On some of the pics I see a wort burning up on the ground and 3 more alum some kegs on the step tier. Why 3? Fermment, filter ferment the a bottling of prep for kegging?
The tier systems are all grain setups. You don't need really need a tier system for extract brewing, though you could conceivably modify the concept to suit. The three tiers are (top to bottom): hot liquor tank, mash tun, and boil kettle. All three levels are typically heated. Generally it works like this: the mash tun contains the initial water and grain for the beer. The hot liquor tank is used to add hot water to the mash to raise its temperature as well as heat and supply the sparge water. The 3 tiers permit gravity feeding of the entire setup so that the extracted wort winds up at the bottom in the boil kettle. Fermentation takes place in another container that would be placed on the ground for gravity feed (alternately, the wort can be transferred via electric pump).

Old 10-30-2006, 04:21 PM   #107
40oz
Recipes 

Wow thanks Yuri, a completely different setup and process. I tasted a few all-grain beers at a friends wedding and discovered the taste I've been searching for is in all-grain and not the way I've been doing it with the usual malt extract stove top process I've been doing. I noticed an all grain forum on this board and plan to do some major reading. Should I get a book or can a noob learn enough from that forum?

Old 10-30-2006, 05:51 PM   #108
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz
Wow thanks Yuri, a completely different setup and process. I tasted a few all-grain beers at a friends wedding and discovered the taste I've been searching for is in all-grain and not the way I've been doing it with the usual malt extract stove top process I've been doing. I noticed an all grain forum on this board and plan to do some major reading. Should I get a book or can a noob learn enough from that forum?
I'm still learning myself, as my first all grain brew session was yesterday. I sat in on a few AG brews with an experienced friend first - that was a big help. This forum is a great place to learn, and you can read John Palmer's "How to Brew" book online for free. Also, Charlie Papazian's "Joy of Homebrewing" is a great read, but you'll have to buy that one.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:04 PM   #109
Biermann
Reinvented Biermann
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
Also, Charlie Papazian's "Joy of Homebrewing" is a great read, but you'll have to buy that one.
You can get this book off Amazon or at Borders for usually under $12. I'd recommend having it on hand, especially if you are an extract brewer desiring to advance your skills and knowledge. It walks you from extract to the all grain process.

--------------------------------------------------------
On Draft: Old, Stale, Oxidized beer

Holding tanks:Sold
Conical #1:Sold
Bottles: Nichts
On Deck:

Old 10-30-2006, 06:05 PM   #110
Biermann
Reinvented Biermann
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimone
talk about sexy....wow
Yeah, my wife is getting jealous of my fermenter.

--------------------------------------------------------
On Draft: Old, Stale, Oxidized beer

Holding tanks:Sold
Conical #1:Sold
Bottles: Nichts
On Deck:

Northjerzyg Likes This 

Quick Reply