Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Should I go forward with building a keg MLT?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
Beavdowg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I had a round igloo cooler (10 gallon size) for years. I still have it, but needed something bigger so I went with a keg. I preheat it, just as I did the cooler, by adding my mash water at 180 and then letting it drop to strike temps. After that, it holds temperature amazingly well. I was actually really surprised, because I've seen all sorts of ways to insulate a keg MLT here on the forum. I mentioned this to my friend who helped me build the MLT (cool tippy dump, with a bottom drain) and he said that stainless is actually pretty good at holding heat, even as thin as it is.

I do have a HERMS, but sometimes I don't even run it until going to mash out temps- and I still hold heat for an entire hour.
Yooper, you mentioned that your keg MLT holds temps very well. There are many reports here on HT that say differently, why do you think yours holds temps so much better?

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4364 Times on 3173 Posts
Likes Given: 849

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavdowg View Post
Yooper, you mentioned that your keg MLT holds temps very well. There are many reports here on HT that say differently, why do you think yours holds temps so much better?

thanks
I have no idea! I was fully prepared to insulate with that reflectix stuff, or to have to run the HERMS, etc.

One of my best friends in an electrical engineer and electrical contractor, and he is the one I mentioned how well it held heat and wasn't the least bit surprised.

It could be because I added 180 degree water to it, and let it come down to 164 for strike temps, I guess. The funny thing is, I always did that with my cooler and it would lose temp pretty fast, and then hold it. The keg MLT doesn't drop fast at all- it takes a long time to get to 164. So I'm actually adding cooler water (in the 170s) now so I don't have to wait as long to mash in.

I'll send a PM to my friend and ask him to comment on this thread, and see if I'm way off base or only a little crazy.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 768 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 523

It's about the thermal conductivity of the material. Stainless is not a very good conductor for a metal. Here are a few exaples I looked up: copper-401, aluminum-250, stainless-16 and HDPE-0.5
Insulation will of course lessen the heat loss but depending on the system, it may not really be necessary. Heat some water in a keggle, let it equalize, cover and monitor it for an hour. You may be surprized.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #14
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
I have no idea! I was fully prepared to insulate with that reflectix stuff, or to have to run the HERMS, etc.

One of my best friends in an electrical engineer and electrical contractor, and he is the one I mentioned how well it held heat and wasn't the least bit surprised.

It could be because I added 180 degree water to it, and let it come down to 164 for strike temps, I guess. The funny thing is, I always did that with my cooler and it would lose temp pretty fast, and then hold it. The keg MLT doesn't drop fast at all- it takes a long time to get to 164. So I'm actually adding cooler water (in the 170s) now so I don't have to wait as long to mash in.

I'll send a PM to my friend and ask him to comment on this thread, and see if I'm way off base or only a little crazy.
That's assuring since Friday night I will be brewing two batches at the same time and using a friends' keggle mash tun. I was concerned about temperature drop but hopefully it isn't an issue. It should be relatively warm in the garage, so I will just keep my eye on the temp for the mash.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #15
alexnharvey
Recipes 

BPA isn't bad for you. We know it is bad for rodents, it is not harmful to people especially adults. Rodents and people metabolise it differently.

The best bit is the stuff they have replaced BPA with is actually worse for you

Old 08-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #16
63belair
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:

I think you nailed it on the head there. I would imagine that the keg acts similarly to a coffee thermos. I have a (kickass) thermos that will keep coffee warm for a couple hours when I pour the coffee in. If I 'pre-heat' the thermos with hot water for 5 or so minutes before dumping the coffee in, it will stay hot for half a day if not more

The metal (keg or thermos) will equalize with the liquid within. When filled cold, it will suck heat out of the liquid within to equalize, thus dropping the temperature of the mash/coffee. If you pre heat the keg/thermos it wont suck heat out to equalize (or in Yooper's case, preheat the keg above the desired temp, so that when the keg sucks out the heat it will equalize at the desired temp)

Old 08-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #17
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 398 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 601

It also depends when and where you use the keg MLT. During the summer, my RIMS hardly has to work to maintain the temperature. I brew in my garage and during the winter, it really has to work.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:00 PM   #18
lpdjshaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Check out this thread, I did this last year and it works awesome (even added a gallon of volume). I preheat and don't lose even a half a degree in an hour mash.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/my-new-mash-tun-268370/

Old 08-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #19
Beavdowg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexnharvey View Post
BPA isn't bad for you. We know it is bad for rodents, it is not harmful to people especially adults. Rodents and people metabolise it differently.

The best bit is the stuff they have replaced BPA with is actually worse for you
I'm not sure I'm seeing your statements here. Rodents and people are both mammals and metabolize products very similarly due to their very similar digestive and circulatory systems. From what I've read BPA can increase risk of breast cancer, which happens to both men and women.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #20
alexnharvey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavdowg View Post
I'm not sure I'm seeing your statements here. Rodents and people are both mammals and metabolize products very similarly due to their very similar digestive and circulatory systems. From what I've read BPA can increase risk of breast cancer, which happens to both men and women.
Yes, in general but they don't metabolise BPA similarly.

http://www.bisphenol-a.org/about/bpa-myths/bpa-accumulates.html

Quick Reply