Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > A Short Pump orientation/mounting tutorial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
WalterAtMarchPump
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default A Short Pump orientation/mounting tutorial

There are a few issues we have found over the years with beer brewers that seem to cause them problems. The most common is pump orientation. So i thought i would just go over the main points incase it help's someone tweak their system better or setup a new brew stand.
The first picture is usually how the pump comes straight out of the box. Pay no attention to the thread size as I just happen to take a custom one off the shelf here in the repair dept for this example. This one has 1" thread fittings on it.
As you can see the outlet is on the right hand side of the picture and the inlet is on the left. The outlet is higher to allow air to escape out of the pump. Some brewers have mounted the pump upside down and that results in an air pocket being trapped in the pump head (Refer to pic #2) When you go to start the pump up it will cavitate the air with the liquid and it’s a 50/50 chance it will be able to purge itself of that air. Best thing to do is take the 4 Phillips screws out and rotate the head 180* so the outlet is once again back on the right hand side when looking at it.
Ideally, if you have the room to rotate the pump head, the best orientation would be with the outlet facing straight up with the inlet on the bottom like in Pic #3
There have been a few people that we have seen with the inlet at the top and outlet on the bottom...that way can also trap air in the pump head (pic #4)

And lastly if space is an issue and the pump gets mounted vertically, then the best way to do that is with the pump head on top of the motor. This is usually met with resistance as most people think if the pump head leaks it will get the motor all wet. While that is true...this orientation is the only way to again get all the air out of the pump head and not have issues with cavitating. Pic #5

1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

-Walter

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
WalterAtMarchPump
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

And in this pic you can see a cut away of the inside of the pump head and why having the pump head under the motor would not get all the air out of the rear housing of the pump body..The pump would still pump liquid out of it but the back side would be in essence running dry.. Hope this help you guys

cut-away.jpg  

-Walter

Old 02-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
NoCornOrRice
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 23

this is great - I will be mounting my new march pump on the stand this week, and in using it previously, I didn't know which orientation would be best or if they were all the same.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
kincade
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Fantastic information Walter! Thanks for your contributions!

-kincade

Old 02-24-2012, 01:57 AM   #5
thelorax121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Awesome, this is great info! Do you have any tips fort the center inlet pumps? I am designing my system with a few of these as we speak and want to be sure I am not going to have issues if I mount them sideways and rotate the head 90 degrees to reorient the outlet upwards. Thanks again!

Old 02-24-2012, 02:38 AM   #6
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Any centrifugal pump has the inlet in the center and outlet should be at the top. The march pump shown really has the inlet in the center even though it is "routed" to the side within the pump head.

Up Next: Oatmeal Stout

Old 02-24-2012, 03:06 AM   #7
dutchoven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Great info ... Thanks Walter. Sticky?!?!

Old 03-24-2013, 03:13 AM   #8
Rickochet
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I was just perusing the pump threads and came across this great information. This will be the mounted position for my new rig.

It is easier to do things right the 1st time rather than to explain why it wasn't when you have to do it the 2nd time.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 255

thanks for the info, walter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelorax121 View Post
Do you have any tips fort the center inlet pumps?
can we get an official recommendation on this? should we go with Special Hops suggestion, inlet horizontal and outlet on top?

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 04-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
WalterAtMarchPump
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
thanks for the info, walter!

can we get an official recommendation on this? should we go with Special Hops suggestion, inlet horizontal and outlet on top?
Yep...horizontal with outlet on top.....you can also clock the pump head 90* to the right so if you are looking at the inlet face on...then the outlet would be to the right or 3 oclock position...

You can also mount these pumps vertical if you want....but they have to be mounted with the pump head on top and motor below....

-Walter

Quick Reply