Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > shirron plate chiller vs. ebay plate chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #31
paradoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I've got a Shirron plate chiller, and about to buy a Duda Diesel one to replace it. Why? The Shirron has FAR fewer channels than either the therminator or the Duda Diesel one, so it plugs a lot more easily. I've got a friend with a therminator and he gets much better flow and less plugging. Of course... any plate chiller will plug if you don't filter your hops somehow.

I clean mine by running hot water with oxyclean through the wort side in both directions, then flush with clean water and let it drain/dry. I sanitize by running boiling wort through it for last 10 minutes of the boil. I also use a large hop bag for my hops.

To the person who suggests freezing your plate chiller, I discourage this. In fact the Shirron has a printed warning NOT to freeze it. Freezing and thawing puts incredible stress on the welds and channels. If you doubt this just look what happens to solid granite when water gets in and freezes during the winter. Probably a quick way to ruin your plate chiller.

Primary: Pliny the Elder, Smoked Porter
Secondary: Apfelwein
Kegged: Bee Cave Pale Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Apfelwein
Bottled: Vinnie's Blind Pig IPA
Next up: Pliny the Elder, my own IPA, Sake, homemade ginger ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #32
ImperialLover
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Default Use plate heat exchanger search

Hey guys, I know I'm late to the party, but I've been in the market for a plate chiller. I found about 3 when I did an e-bay search for "plate chiller." But if you use "plate heat exchanger" then you'll get about 300 hits. I'm buying a 10 plate chiller right now for $40 with 1/2" MPT. That's about half price from everything in the LHBS. Hope it helps someone. Cheers

Keg 1- Air
Keg 2- Air
Primary 1- Rainy Day Red
Primary 2- Air
Secondary 1- Air
Secondary 2- Air
On Deck- H&D On the Brown Low
In The Hole- Water into Barleywine!
Near Future-

Old 10-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #33
Waunabeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have the Shirron plate chiller, but have purchased the Duda Diesel 30-plate chiller and can't wait to use it. I upgraded the size because I just purchased a chugger pump and just wanted more chilling capacity.

I was a little disappointed when I opened the box for the Duda Diesel chiller and it had a big ole "Made In China" sticker on it. I guess that's why they are much cheaper than the rest, but probably work just as well non the less.

Bottled/Kegged: --Bells Oberon Clone, Autumn Amber, Lemon Light Ale, Spotted Cow Clone, Honey Bee Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, Trappist Ale, Bell's Oberon Clone, Savannah Saison, Cream Ale, Fat Tire Clone, Mad Cow, Koppslam IIPA--
On Tap: Ben's IPA, Saison De Noel, Mad Cow
--------------------------------------------------

Old 01-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #34
Moose777

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My Shirron plugged..here is my new Dudadiesel 30 plate chiller ready for a Waldo Lake Amber brew day tomorrow

KEG 1: (ON TAP) Waldo Lake Amber
KEG 2 :(ON TAP) Imperial Stout
KEG 3: (ON TAP) Irish Red Ale [COLOR="Blue"]
KEG 4:(On Tap) Centennial Blonde
KEG 5: Creamy Bikini
KEG 6:

On deck:
Vanilla Bourbon Porter (for this winter)
Ed Worts Oktoberfest with Kolsh yeast Yummmy
Yooper Stone Ruination IPA

Old 01-13-2011, 06:08 AM   #35
Moose777

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Performed like a champ...I'm going to keep this thing cleaned cause this is ahell of a great addition to my brewing...pitchable wort temps in minutes.../

Yessss

KEG 6:

On deck:

Old 01-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #36
jaginger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

For my education, on that Duda Diesel picture, could you use it just as it is oriented in the photo? I am guessing water goes in the right side connectors, and wort on the left.

I'm using only gravity, so I would just slide a tube from my boil kettle on the top left connector, and send cooled wort out the bottom left connector with another slide-on tube. Is that how it works?

Thanks for the info.

P.S. Were those fittings on the left side added after purchase, or did it come that way?

Old 01-13-2011, 03:17 PM   #37
Waunabeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have the same setup as Moose777 and those connectors are add-ons. And yes it can be used as shown in the picture; that's exactly how mine is mounted.

And by the way, with my 30-plate chiller and cold tap water (which is much colder this time of year) it was dropping my boiling wort down into the 50's so I had to speed up the flow a few times to raise the temperatures. Not a bad problem to have.

Bottled/Kegged: --Bells Oberon Clone, Autumn Amber, Lemon Light Ale, Spotted Cow Clone, Honey Bee Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, Trappist Ale, Bell's Oberon Clone, Savannah Saison, Cream Ale, Fat Tire Clone, Mad Cow, Koppslam IIPA--
On Tap: Ben's IPA, Saison De Noel, Mad Cow
--------------------------------------------------

Old 01-14-2011, 12:09 AM   #38
Moose777

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm in Southern California so while my water was cold I'm sure it was nowhere near as cold on yours.
I closed off the valve from the brewpot to restrict the wort flow about 50% and I measured it coming out of the chiller at 72 right into my BetterBottle fermenter.
Bubbling away now on the Denny's Favorite WYeast---Waldo Lake Amber all grain from Northern Brewer

KEG 6:

On deck:

Old 01-24-2012, 11:41 PM   #39
bmbigda
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm about to buy the 40-plate duda-diesel (http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=HX1240BWGHF) and have been reading through all the threads. I'm going to use it gravity-fed for a while until I can get a pump. Right now it's winter in New England. My water is in the 50's. What is the trick to getting a desired final temperature, short of having a thermometer in line with the output? I was thinking of simply starting out with the kettle output as slow as possible, holding a thermometer in the fermenter, and opening the ball valvle as needed/if needed.

I also plan to heed the warnings regarding hop particulates. Thing is, I gave up using paint strainer bags a while ago because I don't like how the hops at the center of a ball of hops inside a bag aren't exposed to the rigors of the boil (that's for another thread). Anywho - what do people think is the next best thing? Bobby_M's hop screen?

Old 01-25-2012, 01:16 AM   #40
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1143 Times on 927 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbigda View Post
[...]Booby_M's hop screen?
Oh no he didn't!

Cheers!