Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > shirron plate chiller vs. ebay plate chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2009, 02:47 PM   #11
lamarguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
IMHO Plate Chillers are the most efficient at chilling wort.
Ha, no need to preface a fact as your opinion.

OP, the 30 plate model is equivalent in volume and surface area to the blichmann therminator, for less than half the price.

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #12
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4753 Times on 4381 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I run Acid #5 through mine every couple of runs. Lots of folks do bake theirs for cleaning. IIRC, the Therminator used to include instructions for doing that but, not any more. Not sure why.

here's some perspective;

that said, I am thrilled with my Therminator! and I ran a shirron for nearly 2 years prior to stepping up to more plates. I should have kept my shirron to rig as a pre-chiller. Doh!

Old 10-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #13
trailblazer
Recipes 

baking it sounds like an interesting idea. they say its brazed together and copper braze melts at like 1400 degrees, your over on self clean gets to maybee 800 or 900 degrees. thats seems like it could possibly work.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #14
trailblazer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
Ha, no need to preface a fact as your opinion.

OP, the 30 plate model is equivalent in volume and surface area to the blichmann therminator, for less than half the price.

on that model, it says theirs 3/4" npt (which i familiar with) and 3/8" sweat fitting. what the hell is a sweat fitting? does that mean it needs to be welded?

Old 10-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #15
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 980 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You can silver solder it but I'd recommend holding out for an all-threaded one.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #16
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
on that model, it says theirs 3/4" npt (which i familiar with) and 3/8" sweat fitting. what the hell is a sweat fitting? does that mean it needs to be welded?
a sweat fitting is a term for a soldered connection. No threads on it.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #17
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm just going to ask this:

Why four holes? Is the cold water going inside the chiller? I thought you immersed the plate.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #18
Lonnie Mac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I have about a hundred batches on my therminator... Obviously I love the dang thing!

It lives in three places and three places only.

When not in use, I take it straight off of Brutus, flush it with my 10 gals of ice water from the HLT used from cooling, drain it for a small bit and put it straight into a sub friggin cold deep freezer to freeze solid until next brew day.

Right before a brew I thaw it out, I flush it with hose water and let it sit in a bucket of StarSan for an hour or so until I need it for chilling...

That's it really. About every four batches or so, or once a month I will bake it in the oven at 500 for an hour for safe measure.

This thing has had a hell of a life. Like I say, about a hundred batches from me alone, and I got it well used from an avid brewer friend of mine that had to get out of the hobby!

As for the hops, I use bags myself along with my full false bottom... Old habits I guess!

Lonnie Mac...
President of the Brutus Ten cult!

Last edited by Lonnie Mac; 10-05-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:33 PM   #19
phillc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have used the 30 plate version about 12 times now. It is fantastic.

I use Bobby_M's hop filter that I built. It is probably one of the absolute best additions to my system. I just brewed a 12 gallon batch on Saturday with 9oz of hops in the boil. Pellet hops, added directly to the boil. I would say that less than 1% of the solids in the kettle made it to the fermenter. It is AMAZING. I used to have some clogging issues with my plate chiller. No longer. In fact, when back flushing it, I did not see any solids coming out. Previously there was a ton. I now consider the filter nothing short of essential on brew day. I was using a false bottom previously.
DIY Hop Filter by Bobby_M

Other notes:
1. To prepare the chiller, I place it in an extra pot full of water and boil it on brew day. Super easy, fast, and 100% effective.
2. To clean it, I just put the hose up to the port and flush it out. Reverse a couple of times, then hang from the edge of a bucket to dry.
3. When using it, I make sure to run boiling wort though it for a minute or so before turning on the garden hose water adding an extra sanitation step.

Flowing at full steam with 70F garden hose water, the chiller brings the wort down to 80-85F as fast as I can pump it out of the kettle.

12+ brews though it with no issues.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:37 PM   #20
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
I'm just going to ask this:

Why four holes? Is the cold water going inside the chiller? I thought you immersed the plate.
Cold water runs through on side of a plate while the wort runs on the other side giving a large area of contact. Immersing the plate would do next to nothing IMO.

I have 1/2" npt 30 plate chiller. My QD's for wort are on one side and I found some nice brass 1/2" to garden hose connectors at an industrial supply house for fluid supplies.

Quick Reply