Sharp edge on the lid of a keggle. What to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
The only thing that comes to my mind is a large red rubber high heat resistant silicone ring like those that are found on the spigots. But the thing would have to be like 20 inches in diameter or however big the cutout is. Anyone come up with a solution for this?

Done that, but since it is stainless steel is just keeps getting sharper.

you need to learn how to use a file effectively.

File it to a rounded edge, this entails changing the angle of the file in relation to the edge to create a round, not angular profile.

it not like its going to jump up and bite ya ..

If it gets sharp use a piece of emery cloth folded over a few times and go around the edge not up and down this will round the edge not sharpen it ...

Shark_Keg.jpg

Just trying to pimp the keg out a little. Plus, it would be nice to not have to worry about that edge. I hate those slices.

I just used sandpaper after hitting it with the grinder (after cutting it out), just ran sandpaper around it and it is very smooth. I also do that on any keggles I make for other people.

I used a dremmel sandpaper drum. It worked well. Just do not press hard or it will dig in and cut it in half.

After mine was cut, I used a dremel Tungsten Carbide Cutter like this: Amazon.com: Tungsten Carbide Cutter: Home Improvement

and then thick grit sandpaper. I made it rounded by using 3 angles - Away from keg, straight up and then into the keg (or straight up is 12 oclock the angle at 2, 12, 10). Just be sure to not stay in one place....and wear ear protection...stainless steel screams under one of these!

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize this is an old thread but I also was thinking of ways to smooth out my edges. They aren't terribly sharp but I think I'm going to purchase 1" heat resistant silicon rubber with adhesive backing from McMaster #8622K52 and wrap the keggle lids like a rubber grommet would. My only concern is bacteria as I don't believe this product is used in food grade applications.

Thanks for the tip! I wanted to find a solution that would eliminate the sharp edge, as well as add a bit of length around the rim. That way I wouldn't need to weld washers for the keg lids to stay put. Access to a welder is difficult to come by... I'm still looking into this option, I just don't want to create a bacteria trap.

I have an uneven edge on my keggle and i want to make a lid sit on it with an even seal. So I am going to create a silicon edge around it. I looked up youtube videos of creating silicon gaskets using tbes of silicon. I got food grade heat resistant silicon and i plan to put a clear vinyl tube around and over the edge of the keggle opening. So i will basically get clear vinyl tubing and cut it to the exact length that an "O" shape can fit around the circumference of the uneven but round shaped edge of my keggle opening. then i will cut a slit in the tube so the tube can sort of clip around the circumference edge of the keggle opening. now i have a vinyl tube that sort of hugs the lip. half the tube abobe the level of the keggle opening and the other half below as the tube curls around the edge. then i will put the food grade silicon tube in my calking gun and force the silicon gel into one end of the tube slowly and densely so it fills the tube's entire circumference with little to no bubbles. then i will let it set for however long it needs. after it is set i can try to pry the vinyl tube off or cut it away in pieces. I haven't dont this yet and it will be challenging. but i've seen this sort of technique done on you tube where a person made a o ring gasket by simply filling a vinyl tube and the silicon easily peels away from the interior of the tube. then they connect the broken edge with another application of a small connecting section. perhaps this will work. if it does for me i will try to post a pic.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-silicone-O-rings-and-tubing/

Vinyl tube will melt at boil temps...

Buy high temp silicone tubing, clamp it so it is stretched a bit and use a razor knife to slit it. Slide that onto your pot edge...
i will not have the vinyl tube on the keg. the vinyl is just a mold for forming the high temp silicon.

You might try what is called a "flap disk" if you own a right angle grinder. It's sandpaper vs. grinding wheel. You should be able to get it rounded off to the point you can finish by hand with emery cloth.

Back