Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Seperate Mash & Lauter tuns?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #11
VladOfTrub
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 133

OP..Are you attempting Lager?... Anyway..I use a seperate direct fired mash tun, have for many years. I like using a fired mash tun, because I can make mash temp changes quickly, or maintain temps, easily, without infusing water or recirculating. The less recirculation through the husk, when doing Lager or Pils, the finer the end product. The less the chance of a stuck sparge, if you're fly sparging. Vorlauf is enough recirculating. I tri-decoction and use 1.5qts/lb, right from the start. The only extra water is for sparge. However, I step mash, from dough in temps, to the acid rest temp, to the protein rest, by firing the tun. Once, the protein rest is at 10 minutes, I dump in the 1st decoction, to go to the Beta rest. You're kinda doing the same thing with adding heat to the tun, for the steps. I use a 15 G tri-clad for the mash tun and a Blichman 15 G, with their slotted plate, for the lautertun. I bought a spackle stirrer, it works very well when stirring the mash in the mash tun. I use 20-25 lbs grain and scoop it into the lautertun, after mash out. It's not too bad scooping out the mash. Good luck. You'll do fine. Once, you get the process tuned in, it's fun doing a step mash or decoction.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #12
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1233 Times on 820 Posts
Likes Given: 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladOfTrub View Post
OP..Are you attempting Lager?... Anyway..I use a seperate direct fired mash tun, have for many years. I like using a fired mash tun, because I can make mash temp changes quickly, or maintain temps, easily, without infusing water or recirculating. The less recirculation through the husk, when doing Lager or Pils, the finer the end product. The less the chance of a stuck sparge, if you're fly sparging. Vorlauf is enough recirculating. I tri-decoction and use 1.5qts/lb, right from the start. The only extra water is for sparge. However, I step mash, from dough in temps, to the acid rest temp, to the protein rest, by firing the tun. Once, the protein rest is at 10 minutes, I dump in the 1st decoction, to go to the Beta rest. You're kinda doing the same thing with adding heat to the tun, for the steps. I use a 15 G tri-clad for the mash tun and a Blichman 15 G, with their slotted plate, for the lautertun. I bought a spackle stirrer, it works very well when stirring the mash in the mash tun. I use 20-25 lbs grain and scoop it into the lautertun, after mash out. It's not too bad scooping out the mash. Good luck. You'll do fine. Once, you get the process tuned in, it's fun doing a step mash or decoction.
Interesting claim. Can you point me towards any experimentation on the effects of recirculation being harmful? That doesn't really fit with my understandings of the chemistry, and in any case I can't really see how stirring would be better. Perhaps I am missing something, though. Has this ever been tested? I assume that you're suggesting it's an issue of polyphenol solubility?

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #13
VladOfTrub
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Polyphenol is a pretty wide term. If you're referring to tannin, maybe. I decoction, pH and water chemistry are fore-front, when boiling mash. I think you answered the stirring versus recirc. part on your own, with the statement, "being lazy." If it makes a great Lager. That's good.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #14
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2166 Times on 1464 Posts
Likes Given: 2138

No lager's yet, Vlad, but I do brew some ales with 'lagerish' tendencies - 100% pils and lagered - strong golden and kolsch, for example.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #15
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1233 Times on 820 Posts
Likes Given: 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladOfTrub View Post
Polyphenol is a pretty wide term. If you're referring to tannin, maybe. I decoction, pH and water chemistry are fore-front, when boiling mash. I think you answered the stirring versus recirc. part on your own, with the statement, "being lazy." If it makes a great Lager. That's good.
Hmm...I don't really follow. What are your reasons to believe that recirculation is harmful in light lagers? Experiments? Claims by others? Propose mechanism? Hunches? Like I said, I can't really imagine how that would be true, but I certainly am open to the idea if you can substantiate or explain it in some way.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

DustyTheBrewer Likes This 

Quick Reply