Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Self closing quick disconnects - where do I get them?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
Patirck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Self closing quick disconnects - where do I get them?

I am looking to outfit my rig with self closing quick disconnects - the kind that stop the flow when they are disconnected. I have found the polysulfalone products at usplastics.com but I would like to see if there are any alternatives out there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

What are you using the disconnects for? The normal pin lock and ball lock QDs are self sealing.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 09-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2348 Times on 1666 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

You can get a variety in several styles, but you will PAY for SS. Brass should be ok for most things, and will save some $$ over SS.

I think Mcmaster.com carries several. I went with camlocks and no automatic shutoffs for (nearly) full bore opening and because I will have a valve on either end.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
slakwhere
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 9

when i was shopping for QD's i asked the same question, and got an overwhelming response that self-sealing will greatly impact flow rate and really isn't necessary since you will have ball valves on most everything's output. i went camlock and don't regret it at all.

self sealing is also much harder to clean since it doesn't self drain and contains all sorts of little crevices to hide bugs.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
Patirck
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakwhere View Post
self sealing is also much harder to clean since it doesn't self drain and contains all sorts of little crevices to hide bugs.
That is a good point. I guess that pretty much makes up my mind that self sealing isn't worth it - that and the expense. It seems that I can get SS camlocks from bargainfittings for much less than polysulfalone from usplastics.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about the bargainfittings camlocks before I order?

Any issues with metal fitting and taking them on and off when they are hot? I think I need to get a good pair of silicone gloves.

BTW - this is for 1/2" silicone tubing to connect HLT, MLT and BK with a pump in various configurations. I have been using hoseclamps and barbs but I'm getting tired of that setup.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
slakwhere
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 9

the bargainfittings camlocks are great. i love the flat rate shipping they do, they ship quick, and work wonderfully. he ships them with silocone o rings to replace the rubber ones that are included. makes them easier to open/close as well. I haven't really had any problems with heat, i don't wear gloves when i brew. all depends on how your rig is set up i guess...

go check out bobbyM's youtube page for some video on him reviewing the camlocks. he says they don't flow fast enough when you use the 1/2" barbed fittings but i haven't had any problems with flow rate. if i was brewing larger than 10 gallon batches it may be an issue but really i don't have and problems with my HLT taking 3 or 4 minutes to transfer into my MLT or from my BK to my fermenter.

if you really want to go super pro, check out otiker clamps instead of wormdrive clamps for your new hoses. much lower profile and don't cut/snag when you're handling them. a bit more expensive, but i bought a bag in 1/2" and am set for life or longer.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #7
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts

Always buy a few extra of each type, every time I make a new change I find myself short one. 3 orders later and I am still short 1. And some extra hose too...

Old 09-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #8
SankePankey
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts

Self sealing is good for gas applications. For liquid, it's better post fermentation. Having said that, I take gravity readings from a corny post with a cobra tap... I just disassemble and clean well. It's no biggie for a one time deal.

Gas applications where you want to connect and disconnect and not loose pressure you'll need either a valve or a self sealing qd. I would think the plastic ones would be hard to clean where as the corny posts with removable poppits are easily cleanable. I have plastic qds too and they are only for water transport, not trub. A ball valve is harder to clean than that.

Quick Reply