Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Seeking proven oven method for bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
mavrick1903
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Seeking proven oven method for bottles

I've got 4 batches on deck to bottle, so I'm looking at going through 10+ cases of bottles. I'm looking for a solid oven method I can use to bulk process these bottles. My concerns are that the oven temps would make the bottles more brittle? Do I need to be label free going in?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I can't help you there but when this happens to me I clean a case to two every day. say 20 minutes each time.

Once then are clean they go back in the cases and covered just awaiting being sanitized and then immediately filled.

I have found that those “Rubber-Maid” totes. are a good size to soak bottles (clean)

Good luck…

DPB

Old 09-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
mavrick1903
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

They're clean already, just need to be sanitized. Label removal in some cases is still in need though.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 8

FWIW, If I had 10 cases of bottles to sanitize, I would use star san, put about an ounce in each bottle, shake to wet the interior of the bottle and drain. I have used the oven method years ago and found it to be a hassle loading and unloading the bottles, slowly heating them up, then waiting for them to cool. Star San FTW!

Old 09-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
klnosaj
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I almost always use the oven method. Bottling is a big enough ball pain without having also to sanitize the bottles on the same day. My method (from John Palmer), which has never failed in the years I've been brewing:

Remove labels and glue. That stuff stinks if it's cooked!

Aluminium foil to cover the opening of each bottle. Place bottles in a cool oven. Set oven to bake @ 310F, let bake for 2 hours (that's two hours AFTER temp has been reached, not two hours after you start the oven). At the end of the baking time turn the oven off and let the bottles cool on their own, preferably overnight. Remove, sort, store. As long as the foil remains intact, they're good in perpetuity.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
Firebat138
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 28

make 5 gallon of sanitizer... put bottles in big tub... pour 5 gall bucket of sanitizer all over them... BAM.. you are done

Fermenting:
20 gal Galactic Black IPA, 10 gal Ypers Pale Ale,
10 gal Belgian WitX2, 10 Gal 2 Hearted Clone,10 gal Samhain Pumpkin, 10 gal Green Flash West Coast IPA
10 gal Coffee Stout,10 Gal Raging Beeatch, 10 Gal Hop Head IPA

Quick Reply