Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > "Seasoning" my burner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default "Seasoning" my burner

A couple weeks ago I had to clean my Bayou burner. It had gotten real rusty and was starting to have yellow flames and was leaving soot on my brewpot. I scraped it and turned it upside down and banged all the rust out of it. Then I sprayed some general purpose spray lube on it, and it looked great. That lasted for one use, then it looked all dry and rusty again. I have nice blue flames, but I didn't want the rust.

I am trying vegetable oil spray now. Just like seasoning a cast iron skillet, I got it hot and sprayed it with cooking oil before yesterdays batch.

It has a nice dark glaze on it now even after a 90 minute boil.

Any advise offered after 10:00p.m. should be regarded as questionable
I can't brew until something is empty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk305 View Post
A couple weeks ago I had to clean my Bayou burner. It had gotten real rusty and was starting to have yellow flames and was leaving soot on my brewpot. I scraped it and turned it upside down and banged all the rust out of it. Then I sprayed some general purpose spray lube on it, and it looked great. That lasted for one use, then it looked all dry and rusty again. I have nice blue flames, but I didn't want the rust.

I am trying vegetable oil spray now. Just like seasoning a cast iron skillet, I got it hot and sprayed it with cooking oil before yesterdays batch.

Someone suggested the seasoning trick awhile back so I gave it a try. It's been working really well so far. Silicone spray lube (the heavy duty automotive type) also works well.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk305 View Post

I did something similar and just poured some used cooking on it after it was hot and rotated it around to get every surface covered. I've used it about 4 times since then and it still looks pretty good
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Quick Reply