Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Seasoning aluminum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
jasonsbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Seasoning aluminum

I purchased a used turkey fryer a while back for the burner, but I thought I would use the pot that came with it for this weekend's brew. I think it's an aluminum pot because there is a black layer inside the pot about 8" up. I'm thinking this is where they may have used it to boil water in the past.

I was able to get all the oil residue cleaned up inside the pot. I then used my oven to season the pot. I put it in for 10 mins at 350*, as described in the wiki.

The pot did not turn black as I had expected. As far as I can tell, it didn't change color at all. Did I do something wrong or should I be concerned?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2009, 02:02 AM   #2
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 443 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Your pot is likely already oxidized as it has been used....remove all traces of frying oil and make beer. Good luck / have fun.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:21 AM   #3
Stratotankard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

If you really want it to turn black, mix up a scoop of Oxi-clean in enough water to fill it and let it sit over night. I scrubbed my aluminum pot for hours and can't get rid of that little mistake.

Seriously though, you should be fine. The aluminum oxidation will be a dull grey colour (vaguely the color of my avatar) and not black. Sounds like yours was already aged.

Terje

Edit: for anyone who is horrified that I use a black aluminum pot- I figure if my best efforts with copper wool and a scotchbrite pad can't get it off, nothing short of sandblasting will. Boiling wort certainly hasn't removed anything.

---------------------------------------------
Primary: Burned Mead
Secondary: Bourbon Barrel Porter
Bottled: More Bourbon Barrel Porter, New Pekin Common, Flat Tail Old Ale, Bad Monkey Banana Wine, Flanders Red, Pumpkin Ale
Drinking: Too Much
On deck: Something crazy to use up the 3+ pounds of hops sitting in my freezer

Last edited by Stratotankard; 09-24-2009 at 02:26 AM.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:52 AM   #4
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just boiled water in my pot for 20 minutes.....grey'ed up the whole inside. If yours is already a bit grey on the inside, (slightly more grey than on the outside), then you are set. Hell, it might even be already passivated on the outside too...

I was terrified of scraping off the oxide layer with the slightest touch on my first brew or two....but no, that crap is bulletproof, and damn near as hard as diamonds.

Quick Reply