The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Scuba's Herms Build!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2008, 02:59 AM   #101
RevRon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southern Ohio
Posts: 72
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig5_12 View Post
You can use the High-Temp BBQ paint, it's flat black so it's not real pretty, but I don't think you'll have a problem with it coming off. I sprayed it on the bottom of my MLT, HLT and BK and haven't had any problems at all. It's nice having them black because they're absorbing heat instead of reflecting now.

Thanks for the link on the burners too, when I move (this weekend) my natural gas burners will no longer be used and I'll need to make the switch to propane...and these puppies were just what I was looking for!
You can also use engine enamel. We sell it at work and it is made to withstand the heat incurred by red hot headers so i dont think a propane burner is gonna be a problem. You have alot more colors to choose from as well.
__________________
RevRon is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 12:39 PM   #102
ScubaSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScubaSteve's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 3,674
Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Stand by for Rig Build #2!!!

ScubaSteve is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #103
Jared311
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 512
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

ScubaSteve, that is a very sexy looking brew stand! I read through the entire thread drooling every time I came across a picture. What I didn't see was what type of wood you used and how you sealed it. Is that non-treated pine with a couple of coats of stain and lacquer? I am also planning on building a brew stand out of wood and was thinking that I wanted to use something more durable then pine. Mostly because I don't want to have little dings and scratches everywhere. Can't wait to see the second build!

__________________

Sláinte,
Jared311

Jared311 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008, 07:09 PM   #104
ScubaSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScubaSteve's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 3,674
Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared311 View Post
ScubaSteve, that is a very sexy looking brew stand! I read through the entire thread drooling every time I came across a picture. What I didn't see was what type of wood you used and how you sealed it. Is that non-treated pine with a couple of coats of stain and lacquer? I am also planning on building a brew stand out of wood and was thinking that I wanted to use something more durable then pine. Mostly because I don't want to have little dings and scratches everywhere. Can't wait to see the second build!
I think I used Doug Fir. It was a step up from the lowest grade, mainly because I wanted the boards to be straight. If you inspect the boards for cracks, warping, rotting, etc. you'll probably be fine with pine/fir. I sanded all the wood and used a pre-stain (it's porous wood). Then, I just used one-step polyurethane stain (antique walnut, I think). It provided good water resistance.

FWIW, you'll probably have dings/scratches everywhere, no matter what wood you use....and the price gets pretty steep for good wood , not to mention it's much heavier.
ScubaSteve is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2008, 04:37 PM   #105
explosivebeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 448
Default

Hey ScubaSteve - I just came across this thread out of the blue. Nice job on building a beautiful rig. I'm definitely curious to see your rig #2. Out of curiosity, were you running all your burners off one propane tank and regulator? If so, did you have any way to control the flow to each burner individually? I thought I saw valves on each unit but I couldn't tell if it was the propane line.

__________________

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."
-Abraham Lincoln

explosivebeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2008, 10:28 PM   #106
ScubaSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScubaSteve's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 3,674
Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

First of all, if you aren't sure about plumbing propane, DON'T DO IT. I did a lot of research before building this part of the project, mainly because one mistake could cost me my life. I used 1/2" black steel pipe for the propane. I used a 20 psi reg with that, and a gas-rated ball valve for each burner. I made sure to use flare fittings with everything, as propane is nothing to mess with. If you look again at the pics, it's a pretty simple manifold, where the pipe goes from each tee to a valve and then an elbow and through the front piece of wood.

If I could do it again, I'd use a needle valve for each burner. WAY better control, especially with the banjos.

FWIW, the 20 PSI reg and 1/2" pipe supplied more than enough propane to keep all three burners going. I never had to do more than 2 burners at once though, so it was never a problem.

__________________
UNIBREW 5500 SINGLE VESSEL BREWERY
WOODEN SINGLE TIER
ScubaSteve is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2009, 06:44 AM   #107
rtichota
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Centennial, CO
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Mine's kind of an upside down "L". I thought about having the sides come up in an "L" so as to trap the keg in a kind of shelf, but I didn't want the steel that far out to the sides because of weight distribution. I like the "upside down L" because the lower (vertical) portion provides a nice, stiff spine that resists bending. Only time will tell though! Thanks guys! More pics to come! I the meantime, I welcome any input/ideas!
I saw the discussion here about angle orientation, and being a mechanical engineer I became curious what the best configuration actually was. I realize, scuba steve, that your rig has come and gone but thought this might be useful for other builders out there. I created a computer model and loaded the angle in the three different styles, "L", upside down "L", and chevron "^". I assumed a general purpose steel and a load of 35 pounds per angle, (I know it could be heavier but we're just comparing here).

As it turned out the chevron performed the best by deflecting the least. Also, because of the symmetry of the chevron shape under the loading config it deformed only straight down, the "L's" deformed to the side some. I also looked to see if the V opened up at all from the load and didn't see anything that would make you worry.

Well, that was a good way to spend time while drinking a few pints. Maybe it'll be useful for someone building out there.
__________________
rtichota is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #108
explosivebeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtichota View Post
As it turned out the chevron performed the best by deflecting the least.
That's pretty cool that you took the time to do that, and that you even know how to calculate those factors. I'm going to be recreating this design sometime soon. I can see your point on it being the most structurally sound option but I think I might still go with the inverted L for a flatter surface area that has more friction since I want to make sure the kegs don't go anywhere and am not going to have brackets for them to sit in. Maybe I'll get some beefy angle iron to ensure it's not a problem. Anyway, thanks for the input. Cheers.
__________________

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."
-Abraham Lincoln

explosivebeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #109
BoulderBayBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 31
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone else as build this stand and if they have the dimensions/plans or any tips for it. I already sent ScubaSteve a pm about it but any possible input would be great. I decided to go the wood route because a buddy of mine is a carpenter and says he'd build me a stand for free.

Thanks,

Dan

__________________
On Deck:IPA
Primary: What the Helles Munchner
Secondary:Cabernet Sauvignon
Bottled/Conditioning:
Drinking: Red Barron German Pilsner
BoulderBayBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 03:51 PM   #110
explosivebeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderBayBrewing View Post
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone else as build this stand and if they have the dimensions/plans or any tips for it. I already sent ScubaSteve a pm about it but any possible input would be great. I decided to go the wood route because a buddy of mine is a carpenter and says he'd build me a stand for free.

Thanks,

Dan
I just built mine but I've still got a few days of work to finish it up. If you can wait a week I'll have pictures to post. Basically my table is roughly 72" long, 33" wide, and about 33" tall with the casters. Inside I have 30" 14-gauge square steel tubing mounted on notched 1x3s to support the keggles. When I'm not brewing, I have a table top that folds up from a vertical wind sheer 270* to sit flush on top to use as a utility table, with storage for the keggles underneath. Anyway, check back for pictures if you're interested in seeing the finished table.
__________________

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."
-Abraham Lincoln

explosivebeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My HERMS Build Gumbys_Brew DIY Projects 7 01-02-2014 04:17 PM
Scuba's Rig Build 2: Judgment Day ScubaSteve Equipment/Sanitation 81 05-25-2010 12:35 AM
HERMS Build Plan EuBrew DIY Projects 2 08-06-2009 02:58 PM
HERMS build paledragon DIY Projects 12 07-13-2009 02:06 AM
Where might one buy or build a HERMS? Thor Equipment/Sanitation 18 01-22-2006 04:47 PM