Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Scrap Wood Wort Burner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2008, 05:09 AM   #1
BuffaloSabresBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Scrap Wood Wort Burner

What Im in the process of building is how Im going to brew outdoors. Im stacking cinder blocks(that Im getting cheap from a local farmer) and building a sort of BBQ pit. Three sides so its easy to add more wood, cinder block bottom so I can just sweep out the ash. Ill could make it small enough that my pot will just sit on the sides. But I think if I put a grill grate across the top and put the pot on the grate so I get more surface area over the flames. Hopefully some pics tomorrow. Im not 100% sure at this point if I will be able to get this hot enough to boil 5 gallons of wort but only time will tell. If it seems like it needs more heat I might try putting a box fan near the fire to add more oxygen. Any thoughts from anyone of if this will work or any suggestions? Ill be using scrap pallets and whatever kind of free wood I can get.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2008, 05:19 AM   #2
SeaMonster
Recipes 

Dude...

It warms up 10 degrees and you're already trudging around outside building pits and stuff? It's still only 20 degrees outside!!

Good game tonight, wasn't it?

Old 02-22-2008, 05:28 AM   #3
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I don't think you will have any trouble keeping your wort at a roling boil, but, dependiing on the size of the fire, it may take ages for you to get it to a boil.

Corrupt Brewers

Old 02-22-2008, 05:34 AM   #4
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMonster
Dude...

It warms up 10 degrees and you're already trudging around outside building pits and stuff? It's still only 20 degrees outside!!

Good game tonight, wasn't it?
A beauty of a game. Cold? Balls to that there is beer at stake here!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea
I don't think you will have any trouble keeping your wort at a roling boil, but, dependiing on the size of the fire, it may take ages for you to get it to a boil.
Well Im planning on heating mash and sparge water on the stove top still so after sparge Im thinking Ill have to heat from around 160ish taking some cooling into account up to 220. So not a huge amount of heat up but its not going to be quick.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:09 AM   #5
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Maybe build some walls to the pit that go most of the way up the kettle. A lot of heat is lost around the sides of the kettle. If you can keep that air higher than ambient, it will increase the speed at which you reach a boil.

It's the same theory as wrapping insulation around your kettle. Just, instead of insulation, you use air.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:42 PM   #6
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'd think you'd need some form of chimney or smoke stack like a real BBQ pit to draw the smoke, ashes and soot away from the wort.

Sounds like a worthwhile experiment, best wishes.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:44 PM   #7
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra
I'd think you'd need some form of chimney or smoke stack like a real BBQ pit to draw the smoke, ashes and soot away from the wort.

Sounds like a worthwhile experiment, best wishes.
Well it doesnt seem like it much matter about the smoke and such. The smoke would just rise up and out. Yes the pot will be uncovered but the smoke should just lick the sides of the pot and rise up and away. My hopes at least.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot
Maybe build some walls to the pit that go most of the way up the kettle. A lot of heat is lost around the sides of the kettle. If you can keep that air higher than ambient, it will increase the speed at which you reach a boil.

It's the same theory as wrapping insulation around your kettle. Just, instead of insulation, you use air.
I wasnt planning on making the wall quite that high but its something Ill keep in mind if I run into problems. I could make the walls high enough to contain the flame, lay my grate across the top, then build the wall up to the height of the kettle. Good idea. If done like I described Id be worried about the stability but a $3 bag of Sakrete and I can level every thing out.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:24 AM   #9
GuateBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Your going to want a pot that is wider rather than taller for this sort of application. I tried to use a turkey frier pot on an open fame pit like this once to boil some seafood and it was very frustrating, needed a hair dryer to get enough heat to get the water to boil, and the clean up off all the soot off the bottom of the pot sucked.

That said plenty of the locals here cook and boil water etc using only wood, and they use a short stocky put without too much trouble.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:02 AM   #10
EricK The Red

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's been done before, check this out. http://oz.craftbrewer.org/Library/Ge...hBrewing.shtml

I'd love to hear a progress report once you're up & running!

Primary 1: Cheesefood's Vanilla Carmel Cream Ale
Primary 2: EdWort's Apfelwein w/Montrachet
Primary 3: EdWort's Apfelwein w/Nottingham
Secondary: IPA
Kegged & Conditioning: Northern Brewer ESB
On tap: I.P.A. (BB Kit)
Bottled & aging: American Nut Brown Ale

On deck: Fat Tyre Clone, Irish Red & More IPA!

"Beer is a vegetable"

Quick Reply