Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Scored

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
toddrod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Scored

One of my friends who travels alot for work showed up yesterday at my house with a brand new glass carboy molded into a styrofoam enclosure. It looks like an acid bottle because it has a screw top cap. It appears to be at least 7 gallons.

Best of all, he said this truck stop where he got it from has plenty of them and they are only $10. That is right, $10. I have already told him to get me at least 3 more the next time he is in the area.

He told me the truck stop is somewhere in Texas but did not know the name of it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2008, 02:26 PM   #2
runhard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Post a picture. I'm curious as I don't think I understand what it looks like. Does sound like a nice score.

runhard, trainhard, raceEZ
Jeffrey

keg 1-Graham Sander's Tropical Flower Wit
keg 2-Yooper's Fat Sam - I highly recommend it
keg 3-Yooper's Fat Tire
keg 4-XXX Stout
keg 5-empty

Fermenter #1-Graham Sander's Tropical Flower Wit
Fermenter #2-empty

Old 11-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
jamescb77
Recipes 

wow find out where might have to score some if im near by

Primary 1:air
Primary 2:air
Secondary:Air
Bottled: air
Up Next:not really sure
Enjoying:AIR:(
working on upgrading to electric if someone would liek to brew me some i would be more than happy to pay for all the ingredients and come help out. Let me know if your near Vincennes Indiana

Old 11-02-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
toddrod
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just went fill with water and it is 7 gal. The styrofoam surrounding it is approx 1.5 inches thick. It is definitely meant to be a protective cases so the carboy can not break.

Picture - I have one but it is 7 MP and I can not upload that large of a photo. I have not been able to figure out how to resize the photo. Can anyone help. I have Kodak easy share software, HP photosmart software, and Print shop software. All I can find in these programs is how to do the basics( crop, red eye, border).

Old 11-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrod View Post
I just went fill with water and it is 7 gal. The styrofoam surrounding it is approx 1.5 inches thick. It is definitely meant to be a protective cases so the carboy can not break.

Picture - I have one but it is 7 MP and I can not upload that large of a photo. I have not been able to figure out how to resize the photo. Can anyone help. I have Kodak easy share software, HP photosmart software, and Print shop software. All I can find in these programs is how to do the basics( crop, red eye, border).

I'm pretty sure that even the most rudamentry programs like Photo smart will have a "resize image" option....look under Effects perhaps...you should then be able to change the image size...I usually use around 450 pixel width for here...

Also if you have photobucket, I THINK they now provide rudamentry photo manipulation tool when you upload a pic there...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
toddrod
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

OK, lets try this. I found out that my camera can be set for lower MP settings. There is also a top to match the bottom styrofoam

100_0498.jpg  

Old 11-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Oh wow....cool!!!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #8
runhard
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

$10. Very nice. One thing to consider is that once the yeast culture us up and rolling that their biological activity generates heat, a fair amount of heat. That styrofoam will act to retain that heat is my fear so you may need to compensate for that or ditch the foam when actually fermenting. There will be a fair amount of mixing due to turbulence within the vessel. I know when I checked the temperature of my sankey keg fermenter, conical, and carboy that I had to set my thermostat down 6°F to reach the desire temperature. I also placed a fan in the chest freezer to mix the air and that seemed to help. I'm not saying that it won't work whatsoever but I'd pay close attention to those fermentation temps.

runhard, trainhard, raceEZ
Jeffrey

keg 1-Graham Sander's Tropical Flower Wit
keg 2-Yooper's Fat Sam - I highly recommend it
keg 3-Yooper's Fat Tire
keg 4-XXX Stout
keg 5-empty

Fermenter #1-Graham Sander's Tropical Flower Wit
Fermenter #2-empty

Old 11-02-2008, 05:04 PM   #9
toddrod
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Good point.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:22 PM   #10
KiltLifter
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Yup, acid bottle, have a couple. Used to pick up pickup truck loads for $5 and sell them to other brewers. M supplier switched to "bag in box" for acid, kinda like Pepsi and cornies!

+1 on the Styrofoam. It will get too hot in there, like over 80 in a 60F garage! I store and transport with the foam, and have a hole cut for an airlock for SECONDARY (no heat generation in secondary).

Quick Reply