Schmidling mills?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hexmonkey

Reaction score
SWMBO wanted to give me a mill for Xmas(!) and ordered a JSP Maltmill from the LHBS back in late Nov., at their recommendation. The LHBS guy said they are the best mills and that they take awhile to get because they're made individually and shipped from the manufacturer. They took her info (but no deposit) and said they'd call her when the order was put through so she could pay them for it.

She finally heard back from them last week(!) and they told her that it seems the manufacturer is no longer taking their orders or answering their calls? They gave up after trying for however long it's been since she asked them to order it and suggested that we get a Monster mill online instead, since JSP were the only mills they sold.

Is this a problem with the manufacturer or my LHBS? I see that their website still exists and at least Northern Brewer does still appear to be selling them...has anybody else heard anything like this?

I got a Barley Crusher shipped to me up in Canada in less than two weeks. That was in February.

The Barley Crusher is the lowest price for the options you get.

You get a FULLY adjustable mill, with a 7-15 pound hopper, for $125 or $145 respectively.

You cannot get another mill with the options that the Barley Crusher has, for the price, period.

It doesn't lack in quality either, they are very well built, easy to adjust and have a Lifetime Warranty, so you will only BUY one.

BTW I heard JSP is out of business.

BC baby

I was told that the gear option on the JSP mills was necessary for motor-driven milling. I don't see that as an option on the BC, is it built-in?

Or is this really just not as 'necessary' as I was led to believe?

I returned a Grain Gobbler yesterday. Once I see my credit in my bank account I am getting a Barley Crusher.

I was told that the gear option on the JSP mills was necessary for motor-driven milling. I don't see that as an option on the BC, is it built-in?

Or is this really just not as 'necessary' as I was led to believe?

I run mine with my drill and no gear. The one roller pushes the grain through and that causes the other roller to move as well.

Likewise, I have been running my Barley Crusher with a cordless drill with great results. Even though my LHBS suggested cracking roasted malts with a Victory style hand mill, the Barley Crusher chews everything up without a burp. There is a small oring around one of the rollers that connects them via friction but it is really only for beginners piece of mind. They say that the oring will wear down but there is no reason to replace it.

Just use a lower rpm high torque drill with it.

How are the crankensteins? I might order these guts 2S - $67.00 : crankandstein.net

I need to rebuild the case for my homeade mill and this is starting to look just as cheap.

Yah I bought a corded HD 1/2" chuck low speed drill for mine. 0-550 RPM, and you can dial down the speed, so it will be easy to lock in a speed. It is 7.3 amps and has a dual gear reduction... it will dislocate your shoulder.

Back