Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Sanyo SR-4310W Fridge HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
apalke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thargrav View Post
More than likely you have crimped the tube somewhere or cracked the tube somewhere. Check again today & if it cools even less or not at all then you cracked the tube and you've just created a piece of roadside lawn art.
It's been holding steady at about 55F for a week... if I've just crimped the coolant line would it be possible to uncrimp it somehow and restore the fridge to it's former operating capacity?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 12:11 AM   #12
thargrav
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I said "more than likely", assuming it was working fine before you unfolded the coil. You could also have a unrelated thermostat problem.

I don't know if it can be fixed. If one of the tubes is crimped then pushing is back may make things worse.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:01 AM   #13
apalke
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thargrav View Post
More than likely you have crimped the tube somewhere or cracked the tube somewhere. Check again today & if it cools even less or not at all then you cracked the tube and you've just created a piece of roadside lawn art.
UPDATE: I took another look and noted that one part of the freezer compartment looked like it might be crimped. I carefully bent it out and instantly heard coolant rushing through the freezer line! It's been running for an hour or so and it's already starting to frost over and cool down considerably. Problem fixed (hopefully)! It may never hold the cooling capacity it once had if the coolant lines are distorted slightly, but I hope I'll be able to get it down to at least 40F.

The part that was bent too much is the part toward the back of the fridge where the freezer unit bends by design to attach to the back wall of the fridge unit. I had bent this even further during my initial operation. It looks like this is a good fridge to use for kegs, but you have to be very careful when bending back the freezer compartment.

On a side note, before I bent the freezer back I noticed that the compressor was indeed running along albeit very quietly, so I should have known the compressor was not the problem.

Sorry for taking over the thread for this problem, I hope it wasn't too much of a tangent to the OP's first post.

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-02-2013, 02:04 AM   #14
thargrav
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

No problem, you should not have any more problems.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #15
Josten
Recipes 

I just got this model fridge for free and am trying to install my draft tower. Does anyone know where the compressor line runs through the top of this model? The rubbing alcohol/cornstarch mixture trick isn't work because there is a plastic piece on top preventing the heat from the line coming through. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:54 PM   #16
Theis
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

What is the interior height of the fridge? I have Sanyo dorm fridge with freezer in place and it is cramped but works with pin-locks.

Also the plastic top comes off mine in order to switch the door to the other side. If you pop it off you could probably utilize the cornstarch alcohol method.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #17
Josten
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theis
What is the interior height of the fridge? I have Sanyo dorm fridge with freezer in place and it is cramped but works with pin-locks.

Also the plastic top comes off mine in order to switch the door to the other side. If you pop it off you could probably utilize the cornstarch alcohol method.
The doorway is 29 3/8". I bent the freezer compartment down to make room for a corny and co2. The plastic piece on top is glued, not screwed, and I wanted to avoid ripping it off for fear that it wouldn't look as nice when I put it back together.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #18
egy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josten View Post
The doorway is 29 3/8". I bent the freezer compartment down to make room for a corny and co2. The plastic piece on top is glued, not screwed, and I wanted to avoid ripping it off for fear that it wouldn't look as nice when I put it back together.
Have you made any progress on your conversion? I'm looking to use the same fridge and have the same questions about lines (coolant/Elect.) on the top?

Thanks,

Old 03-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #19
Josten
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by egy

Have you made any progress on your conversion? I'm looking to use the same fridge and have the same questions about lines (coolant/Elect.) on the top?

Thanks,
I ended up just ripping the top off. There was a layer of foam beneath it. I poked around in the center near the back third of the fridge for any lines, and didn't come across any. Then, after much anxiety, decided just to cut through it with my hole saw. The compressor line either doesn't run across the top of this model, or I got lucky.
I attached the tower to the top with a piece of plywood underneath for a base, so I had to hack away at the foam in that area so the top would sit flush again. Although there isn't any glue anymore, there are tabs that clicked back in. I'll try and attach a pic.

image-3383462770.jpg

Old 03-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #20
egy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Josten - thanks a ton! That's exactly what I needed to hear. Looks awesome! Could you provide a measurement from the back edge of the top plastic piece to the center of the hole you drilled, and the diameter of the hole? I will likely just use the same location.

Did the plastic piece come off cleanly, and look OK once re-attached? I'd like to paint mine so I may take it off anyhow to get a better looking paint job. Di you paint the center piece on yours? That looks nice.

Quick Reply