Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Sanyo SR-4310W Fridge HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
LarsonLE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Sanyo SR-4310W Fridge HELP!

Hey guys, so I was recently given this fridge for free, and I came to find out that a 5 gallon corny keg is about 1/2 in. to short to fit inside (without any attachments). So the freezer compartment has to come out someway (as you can tell in the second picture). If I just take the tray out completely will this fridge still function? If so, how the hell do I go about removing it?

I would really like to start kegging so I really need to get this done some way or another. Maybe it's impossible and I have to buy a new fridge?

http://postimage.org/image/2xey2f6dg/
http://postimage.org/image/2xf1dhvd0/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 01:03 AM   #2
TJTHEBEST
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have that fridge and i had to bend the freezer compartment down because that is the part that cools the fridge.

It was tricky on mine though because those little shelf holders get in the way to bend it. You could either bend the freezer into a "u" shape and then bend it down. or what i did was take a razor knife and cut out those shelf holder things.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:07 AM   #3
LarsonLE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJTHEBEST View Post
I have that fridge and i had to bend the freezer compartment down because that is the part that cools the fridge.

It was tricky on mine though because those little shelf holders get in the way to bend it. You could either bend the freezer into a "u" shape and then bend it down. or what i did was take a razor knife and cut out those shelf holder things.
I will probably just go ahead and cut the shelfs off. Is that piece pretty flexible once you do that?

Old 09-29-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
LarsonLE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Any other suggestions?

Old 09-30-2011, 03:06 AM   #5
thargrav
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts

Cut the shelf off and you destroy the fridge - the shelf IS the cooling coil.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:44 AM   #6
TJTHEBEST
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Cut the little bulges on the side of the fridge not the freezer compartment.

It was actually still pretty hard to bend down because it pretty hard to cut the whole bulge things off because they have foam in them... Honestly i think i got really lucky and just went really really slow. The paint on the tubing that comes out of the back of the fridge actually cracked a little so i stopped immediately and didnt quite get the freezer all the way to the back of the fridge. But i think its definitely back far enough.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
thargrav
Recipes 

I think you were lucky - friends have tried that around here and the tube cracked & leaked freon.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
a1055444
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJTHEBEST View Post

Can you post a picture of what you did because I am facing the same problem. I can't quite visualize what you did. Thanks

Old 12-31-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
apalke
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have this fridge too. A week ago I bent the freezer compartment up to accomodate a keg. There are no obvious exterior cracks in the freezer compartment and there was no obvious gas leakage; however, when I plug it in the fridge will not cool down. There is condensation on the freezer compartment and it will get cool to the touch, but the fridge will not go lower than about 55F. There is a gurgling sound inside like some liquid is circulating, but there is not the gentle hum of the compressor working happily.

I did leave the fridge outside unplugged overnight to let it defrost. I had it covered with a tarp but it did rain overnight. If some water had got in there could that have fried something? I don't know much about fridges (maybe shouldn't have attempted this in the first place) so any help would be much appreciated.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #10
thargrav
Recipes 

More than likely you have crimped the tube somewhere or cracked the tube somewhere. Check again today & if it cools even less or not at all then you cracked the tube and you've just created a piece of roadside lawn art.

Quick Reply