The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > sanke kettle test run fittings and all hoorah!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
bendavanza
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default sanke kettle test run fittings and all hoorah!

So I had this Labbats keg fo a kettle for some time and recently decided I was tired of sticking my arm in there to check temps and guessing at the level of wort left, and siphoning wort out of it. So I did some comparison shopping and bought some fittings (bargain fittings guy) , a sight glass kit Forsale, a thermometer and silicon hose Austin Homebrew Supply , took the fittings to my welder friend and had him TIG the fittings into the holes I drilled in advance. Drilling was not fun I think I finally killed my dewalt corded drill. I scrubbed it all up with BKF and rinsed thoroughly, then brought 5 gallons to a boil to check for leaks and transfer. My dip tube made from soft copper and a female thread to 1/2" copper fitting worked well, and I plan to make a hop stopper for it with some 30x30 mesh I got from mcmastercarr. No new news here just happy with my upgrade and wanted to share. I'll be cutting up another keg soon, and then starting on my brew sculpture. I just picked up a used MIG so I'll be looking for scrap steel to work with. Any comments or concerns?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
Gonefishing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When you have your brew structure built my only concern with your setup will be alleviated.. right now it looks like it wouldn't take a lot to tip your current kettle (nice job, BTW) burner and stand over.

Small Primary: Empty
In Secondary: SMaSh Ale (dry hopping)
In Keg: Apefelwein
Keg 2: English pale ale
Keg3:Cola Soda
Keg4; Snowy Mountain APA
In Bottles: Some Bud for my clueless friends.
Next up: Brown Puppy Ale (Old Brown Dog clone)
My Blog: http://kking.wordpress.com/

Old 01-09-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Very cool. It's nice to see an installed version of my sight kit. It looks like you copied all my bulkhead locations too and I think you'll be pleased. Just be careful with that thermo probe if you stir.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Bobby
I found that some medium walled vinyl tubing make the gap between the tube and the eye bolt.
A question for you, is there any concern about the heat and polycarbonate with leeching of BPA? I was reading this post http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/i-wi...rmenter-96622/

Quick Reply