New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Sanke fermenter issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #1
Islandboy85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Sanke fermenter issue

I've been fermenting in snake kegs for a while now, but I think I may have an infected beer. I didn't try to taste it since I was heading into work. It had lots of white stuff on top. Not what my other beers have done in the past. So, I'm guessing that my cleaning and sanitizing isn't good enough. Would it be better to spend my money to pt a 4 inch triclover on the keg so I could get in and scrub the crap out of it, or buy a pump to make a keg/fermenter washer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
headwall
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

What has your sanitation technique been? Maybe there are ways you can improve your process before you go out and spend a lot of money.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:38 AM   #3
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I run boiling wort through my CFC for 15 minutes, and flush it with water after use. I slosh 2 gallons of Star San in the Sanke fermenter. I'm guessing that a small amount of schmutts built up over time from having some trouble cleaning them out after fermentation. Soaking them to listen up the kreuzen has only given me moderate success.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:50 AM   #4
headwall
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

How do you clean them after fermentation? A carboy brush should fit through the opening so maybe a good PBW or oxyclean soak and a good scrubbing might help. A sanitation technique that has been suggested to me is to fill the keg with a few inches of water and boil for 5-10 min. The heat and steam should kill most anything still living in there. Those are my only ideas. If a hot soak and scrubbing with a good cleaner followed by steam sanitizing doesn't work I'd look in to building a keg washer.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by headwall
How do you clean them after fermentation? A carboy brush should fit through the opening so maybe a good PBW or oxyclean soak and a good scrubbing might help. A sanitation technique that has been suggested to me is to fill the keg with a few inches of water and boil for 5-10 min. The heat and steam should kill most anything still living in there. Those are my only ideas. If a hot soak and scrubbing with a good cleaner followed by steam sanitizing doesn't work I'd look in to building a keg washer.
I did an oxyclean soak for a few days with lots of rolling the keg around. I'll try the brush.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:35 AM   #6
processhead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's hard to know how clean you are getting a Sanke keg.

I started using a inspection mirror on a telescoping wand with and a light to inspect them internally.

I was surprised how much of ring I was leaving behind even after brushing with cleaner.

How hard can it be?

Old 08-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by processhead
It's hard to know how clean you are getting a Sanke keg.

I started using a inspection mirror on a telescoping wand with and a light to inspect them internally.

I was surprised how much of ring I was leaving behind even after brushing with cleaner.
That's why I'm wondering if it'd be better to add a triclover ferrule on top to give me better access to get in there chisel it out if I have to.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

If you put a gallon of water in there and put it on your burner, heat it up until steam shoots out like a volcano for 10 minutes or so, then do an oxiclean/PBW soak you won't have any krausen ring left in there.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 08-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz
If you put a gallon of water in there and put it on your burner, heat it up until steam shoots out like a volcano for 10 minutes or so, then do an oxiclean/PBW soak you won't have any krausen ring left in there.
Ok. Ill give that a shot.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
Ditto what wyzazz is saying. You mentioned StarSan before, but nothing else. StarSan isn't a cleaner - it is only a surface disinfectant for already clean surfaces. You need to do PBW and/or the burner method to get the soiled material off the surface.

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/single-tier-3-pump-bcs-462-automated-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hacking-bcs-add-customized-web-pages-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upright-keezer-8-taps-11-kegs-371438/

Quick Reply