The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Sanke Fermenter Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #81
Brewers Hardware
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspio View Post
Just an update, I got mine last week. the USPS dinged up the box a little, but everything inside was fine. Welds look great, I can't wait to try it out! Just picked up a keg from my next door neighbor for $20, so I'm set on one. I've been hitting up craigslist for a second keg, but so far no luck. Thanks derrin for a good price on a great product!

BTW - what would be your price to ship me a couple extra o-ring sets. I can pretty much guarantee I'll lose some or drop it in the fermenter, so I'd like to have some spares ready to go.
You're welcome! Thanks for the business!

I'll look up the McMaster numbers on them, but you have to buy 100 of the small ones and 10 of the big ones at a time. If you NEED an extra set, just send me a SASE with the email address you used to buy one and I'll just send you a set.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2009, 05:23 PM   #82
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

So I am debating the buying a conical or buying one of these items for either a 1/4 or 1/2 sanke. My question is, how do you take hydrometer samples with this setup. For the people that have them already do you simply siphon a sample out? How do you then stop the siphon in a controlled manner? I see this as the only downfall to using it over a conical and if it can be overcome easily I'm all in. Thanks!

Old 08-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #83
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3094 Times on 3016 Posts
Likes Given: 158

My take on it, others might be different.

I usually don't take samples of batches I'm repeating and I don't bother with 10G batches of unproven beer. If I hit my temps and gravities right I've never had a stuck fermentation.

I suppose I might use a sanitary air filter and "blow" a sample out if I needed to for some reason, but up to one month in primary, crash cool and keg I usually don't bother. I've got my process down and a repeatable wort is fairly easy to produce at this point.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:56 PM   #84
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnm129 View Post
My question is, how do you take hydrometer samples with this setup.
Personally, I'm planning to experiment with pressurized fermentation. This approach would allow you to easily pull samples at ~5psi.

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 09-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #85
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I just racked my beer out of the fermenter yesterday. The first of the beer I ran into a water bottle for hydro sample and tasting. I started with the racking arm where it should be above the trub then lowered it till it started to cloud up, then raised it back up till it ran clear. I pulled off about 16oz of beer this way then moved onto filling two kegs.

After the kegs I filled up a gallon jug which I later pitched some bugs into.

I really like the process. The one thing I'll have to adjust next time is to pull off my blowoff tube and just cover with paper towel or foil when I crash cool. It sucked back my sanitizer.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:46 PM   #86
Mongo64
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm wondering if someone who has this can take a measurement for me? I am interested in knowing the height of this while attached to a 15.5 gal. Sanke.
Reason is that I have a fermentation box with 25 inches of vertical clearance. Could be modified if needed.

And what do you guys do for cleaning on of these?

Old 10-18-2009, 03:58 AM   #87
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo64 View Post
I'm wondering if someone who has this can take a measurement for me? I am interested in knowing the height of this while attached to a 15.5 gal. Sanke.
Reason is that I have a fermentation box with 25 inches of vertical clearance. Could be modified if needed.
You can get by with 25" clearance, assuming the racking cane is fully inserted, which isn't ideal. You really need 30+ inches of clearance to make it practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo64 View Post
And what do you guys do for cleaning on of these?
I haven't yet, but I plan to to soak the keg in warm (150F) PBW.

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 10-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #88
ntempleton
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ordered one yesterday. Can't wait to get it and give it a try.

--
Nic Templeton - Seattle WA

Old 10-20-2009, 10:32 PM   #89
caspio
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Pulled a sample last night from the first batch I'm fermenting with one of these. Having the racking cane already there made it super easy, normally I have to pull carboys out of the ferm chamber because I don't have the vertical clearance to get a cane or autosiphon in.

Anyway, at a week and a half the wheat I have in there is tasting delicious. After another week or so I'm going to try a low-pressure CO2 transfer from the fermenter to the beer-in on a corny.

Edit: I ordered the version with the thermowell, mainly as a future project. Without going all-out and getting a bcs or a labjack setup, is anyone aware of a thermometer or pic kit that does temp logging, preferably with a pc interface so I can dump data to a laptop?

Last edited by caspio; 10-20-2009 at 10:35 PM.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:29 PM   #90
fartingdog
Recipes 

I just did my first transfer using this yesterday. It ran seamlessly.

I ran my filter inline between the fermenter and the purged keg, pushed with 3 psi of CO2, a totally closed system. I put the corny on a scale (saw this trick somewhere on the forum), waited til it weighed 48# or so (40# of beer plus the weight of the corny), and switched kegs to rack the rest. Freaking awesome, I am so hooked on this thing!

Being drunk is the best feeling in my poor world. - Drinky Crow

Quick Reply