Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Sanke Fermenter Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #41
springer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrin View Post
OK, I finished the first 4 pre-production kits. A few new tools later and quite a learning curve on the order to weld things; I'm ready to roll into production I think. Here's a picture of the first one shipping. Missing from the picture is the 3/8" tubing for connecting the blow-off sweep to the blow-off port. The racking arm is shown removed from its' fitting as is the new silicone o-ring for sealing the whole thing.

Edit: I also added the option to purchase without a thermowell built-in. If anyone already ordered one with a thermowell and doesn't want one, let me know and I'll refund you the difference.

I hope its mine

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2009, 05:37 PM   #42
keelanfish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

This looks like a great product Derrin. I'm ordering one this weekend. If I'm happy with it, I'll be ordering at least two more. Cheers!

Old 07-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #43
keelanfish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Another thought...my brother was driving by a local scrap yard a couple weeks ago and there were two kegs that he could see from the road. He stoped and inquired about them and the man working there said he had one more and was willing to sell them. My brother inspected and they all looked to be in decent condition and offered them $50 for all three. The price was accepted and we now have three sankes (two straight sided & one with the pot belly).

I'm 100% against theft, and I'd like to know if we now own these kegs legally? Is there anyway to find out?

Another reason I like this product is because it doesn't harm the keg in any way. At any time the spear could be reinstalled and the keg used again for its original intent.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:35 PM   #44
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by keelanfish View Post

I'm 100% against theft, and I'd like to know if we now own these kegs legally? Is there anyway to find out?
Contacting the brewery that has its name on it would be about the only way I can think of to know for sure. You may have to spend a lot of time and energy on doing so but I applaud your honesty for the attempt. I can't imagine too many legit kegs wind up in the junk yard but it certainly can happen.

Please note this is not an attempt to turn this thread into a keg theft thread.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:12 AM   #45
keelanfish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
Please note this is not an attempt to turn this thread into a keg theft thread.
No, I don't want to take anything away from Derrin or his ingenuity.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:27 AM   #46
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3117 Times on 3034 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Pulled the trigger on the non-thermowell option. It's awful having brewing money burning a hole in your pocket....

Old 07-27-2009, 04:01 AM   #47
Brewers Hardware
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keelanfish View Post
No, I don't want to take anything away from Derrin or his ingenuity.

I really really appreciate that.

Since it started as my thread and it is my device, I'd just like to add my .02 If you'd like to debate me I'd appreciate a new thread or a PM as not to derail this thread but I feel like I should comment on this aspect only because I've created a device that could condone the theft of kegs....

This is my personal opinion and is probably very distant from any real legal opinion.

I view keg theft as entirely an intent crime....

If you go buy a keg of beer, pay the $30 and don't return the keg: Clearly theft. If you know the keg could be returned and you offer to buy it or otherwise take it: Clearly theft.

I look at it like this: If you know the keg has a good probability of making it back to its rightful owner and you choose to liberate it and use it for brewing: you stole it. If there is a good probability that the keg is NOT going to make it back to its rightful owner and will otherwise be destroyed anyway (ie rescued from a recycler): you didn't steal it. If I owned a brewery, I'd be pretty pissed to see my hard earned dollars and property turned into a keggle. I'd be a lot more upset to see it shredded and turned into a quart of shredded stainless steel.

Just my opinion.

Premium Brewing Kettles | Conical Fermenters | SS Carboy/Conical Thermowell | Stainless Thermowells
Tri Clover Fittings | Sanke keg fermenter

Become a Brewer's Hardware Fan on Facebook!

Old 07-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #48
cashbrewing
Lifetime Supporter
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just got home from work and there it was sittin on the front porch.
Derrin your work is excellent and I was so surprised to see it this quickly, I can't wait to put it to use. Now I'll probably have to buy another one for my second fermenter. Keep up the good work Derrin.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/.../IMG000691.jpg

Last edited by cashbrewing; 07-28-2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: wrong picture

Old 07-28-2009, 11:23 PM   #49
Brewers Hardware
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashbrewing View Post
Just got home from work and there it was sittin on the front porch.
Derrin your work is excellent and I was so surprised to see it this quickly, I can't wait to put it to use. Now I'll probably have to buy another one for my second fermenter. Keep up the good work Derrin.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/.../IMG000691.jpg
Thanks so much for the compliment! The packaging is still a work in progress so make sure you check every fold. I had to stuff a box in a box and there are items packaged between the two to keep them safe. I'm looking into tubes, but since it has to ship Priority Mail I like to take advantage of my tax dollars and use Priority Mail containers provided they don't compromise the product.

Premium Brewing Kettles | Conical Fermenters | SS Carboy/Conical Thermowell | Stainless Thermowells
Tri Clover Fittings | Sanke keg fermenter

Become a Brewer's Hardware Fan on Facebook!

Old 07-29-2009, 06:53 PM   #50
BorderBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Derrin,
Mine arrived yesterday in excellent condition. The workmanship is superb and I can't wait to use it. Thanks for a great product.

Regards,
BorderBrewer

Quick Reply