New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Sanke Fermenter Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #31
kcinpdx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrin View Post
Question for you all:

It's been suggested that the blow-off port should be straight to make it easier to add an airlock for extended secondaries. I was thinking about making a modification of just cutting the bloe off tub and including a short piece of 3/8" tubing to connect it together. So you would be able to drop a bubbler on it or attach the included SS sweep to hook up a blow off tube....

I think that is a great idea and will likely push me over the edge to get one.

You mentioned in an earlier post that one could (at their own risk of course) take off the blow off tube and add a gas hose. I take it that this means the blow off tube is removeable?

never mind - I am an idiot. Simply add a clamp and hose.... Perhaps I am the guy who should not be trying that!

Last edited by kcinpdx; 07-21-2009 at 08:00 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2009, 08:59 PM   #32
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Is a 3/8" tube wide enough for a blow off?

Old 07-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #33
smearex
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Will this work on a 7.5 gallon sanke? I just purchased a 1/2 barrel that I was planning on using as a mashtun. Would be awesome if I can use this on the 7.5 gallon tank as a fermintor which I already have.

Also would I be able to use it on either?

Old 07-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #34
Displaced MassHole
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Freaken awesome!!

Derrin-

How long are these going to be available? I cant fit one into the brewing budget right now as I'm in the process of closing on a house, but it would make a great B-day gift to myself in september.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #35
Brewers Hardware
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
Is a 3/8" tube wide enough for a blow off?
When i fermented in carboys, I would remove the cap and cup fom a 3-piece airlock and place a 3/8" tube onto the stem during primary as a blow-off tube. So, in my experience it's worked fine even with vigorous wheat beers. Coupled with the fact that most people will be using it with a 15.5 gallon vessel, head space shouldn't be an issue. So, think it'll be fine.

Quote:
Will this work on a 7.5 gallon sanke? I just purchased a 1/2 barrel that I was planning on using as a mashtun. Would be awesome if I can use this on the 7.5 gallon tank as a fermintor which I already have.

Also would I be able to use it on either?
As long as it has an American Sanke port, it should work fine. The thermowell is a fixed depth of 16" but since the racking arm is adjustable, you'll be able to compensate for a different vessel depth up to 16". If you figure out you really need one with a shorter or no thermowell that can be done too.

Quote:
How long are these going to be available? I cant fit one into the brewing budget right now as I'm in the process of closing on a house, but it would make a great B-day gift to myself in september.
This is a permanent addition to my product line so as long as everything continues to go OK with this little venture, it'll be available for a very long time. The pre-sale will end on or about August 1st.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:42 PM   #36
smearex
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
As long as it has an American Sanke port, it should work fine. The thermowell is a fixed depth of 16" but since the racking arm is adjustable, you'll be able to compensate for a different vessel depth up to 16". If you figure out you really need one with a shorter or no thermowell that can be done too.
The 7.5 is actually the same height as the 15.5 so it sounds like I am golden. This is pretty awesome and actually creates a much cheaper solution then say a 7 Gallon Conicle even the plastic ones.

So the tube that bends at an angle is the airlock?

Thanks
Old 07-22-2009, 07:52 PM   #37
smearex
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I guess they both bend. Sorry I am a noob at this but do I attach an airlock?

Old 07-22-2009, 08:27 PM   #38
Brewers Hardware
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smearex View Post
I guess they both bend. Sorry I am a noob at this but do I attach an airlock?
In the prototype in the picture, there is no provision for an airlock, just a blow off tube, which left in a bucket of clean sanitizer is an airlock. That's the way I'd always done it when I fermented in cornies. But, popular demand seems to favor the ability to attach a bubbler so; I'll be cutting that tube so a bubbler can be attached. I'll include the cut/bent tube to make a nice sweep down to a bucket for blow-off.

I just found the caps I was looking for for the racking arm as well so there will be an FDA approved vinyl cap to keep the arm clean and sanitary during fermentation.

I'm about done with the first units in that configuration. I'll post new picts before I ship the first couple orders.

Premium Brewing Kettles | Conical Fermenters | SS Carboy/Conical Thermowell | Stainless Thermowells
Tri Clover Fittings | Sanke keg fermenter

Become a Brewer's Hardware Fan on Facebook!

Old 07-23-2009, 01:22 AM   #39
kcinpdx
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd love to get my hands on a tall 1/4 - perfect for 5 gallon batches.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:30 AM   #40
Brewers Hardware
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

OK, I finished the first 4 pre-production kits. A few new tools later and quite a learning curve on the order to weld things; I'm ready to roll into production I think. Here's a picture of the first one shipping. Missing from the picture is the 3/8" tubing for connecting the blow-off sweep to the blow-off port. The racking arm is shown removed from its' fitting as is the new silicone o-ring for sealing the whole thing.

Edit: I also added the option to purchase without a thermowell built-in. If anyone already ordered one with a thermowell and doesn't want one, let me know and I'll refund you the difference.

Premium Brewing Kettles | Conical Fermenters | SS Carboy/Conical Thermowell | Stainless Thermowells
Tri Clover Fittings | Sanke keg fermenter

Become a Brewer's Hardware Fan on Facebook!

Last edited by Brewers Hardware; 07-24-2009 at 04:58 AM.

Quick Reply