HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Sanke Fermenter Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #111
caspio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It's a pretty simple setup - just a pond pump and some PVC. I cross posted to HBT so people don't need to register for our dinky little forum. (although just the folks clicking through from this thread would probably quadruple our normal daily visitor count)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 06:24 PM   #112
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3298 Times on 3185 Posts
Likes Given: 200

If you used a reducer at the top and then a nozzle you might get a little more pressure from the system.

Very nice. Going to have to do something of the sort to place in the brewery tub sink.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #113
caspio
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I thought about looking at pond sprayer parts and finding some sort of cool nozzle, but I decided not to. The biggest reason was pressure - most of the guides I found were people using powerful sump pumps with twice the output of my little pond pump. I wasn't sure if I'd get adequate coverage.

The other thing is ease of cleaning - I can pop the top off and rinse it out with no problem, and if it ever gets too crusty a replacement is only 50 cents. Some spray nozzles looked like they might be hard to unclog. Really though, do whatever works best for your setup.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #114
bhatchable
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So Derrin, would this nifty contraption work for a 30L "S" type sanke keg that I have?

Old 01-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #115
Brewers Hardware
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoodbrews View Post
So Derrin, would this nifty contraption work for a 30L "S" type sanke keg that I have?
I'm not sure. If you can email (or post) a picture of the connector I can tell you. The tri clover clamp connects around and over the Sanke connector. The only ones i know for sure work are the "American Type Sanke Connector" Our local brewery has some kegs that take a regular Sanke coupler, but the connector on the keg is a very large block, only the insides are the same and this clamps to the outside.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:54 PM   #116
flananuts

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sppdbrews, are you taking about "sixtals"? If so it will work. I had a sixtal of a local brew pale ale for a party a while back. It's tall enough for Derrin's fermenter conversion and the tap connection is identical to the 15.5 gal sanke I use for fermenting.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:19 AM   #117
bhatchable
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not to concerned with it fitting so much. with the adjustable height racking cane it doesn't matter the height really. the main difference between the american sanke and the european sanke (heineken pony keg) is that instead of the slinky style retainer clip, it has a threaded inside. as far as i know and can tell the threads on the inside of the extension from the top won't affect the installation of this part.

EDIT: when I think I have the money i'm going to order one of these. from what i can tell, the outer diameter of the protuberance at the top is the same as an American sanke, except with a threaded inside, which should be of no consequence with the tri-clover type of seal.

EDIT TIMES TWO:
here is a pic of the spear that came out. you can imagine the threaded inside of the neck. it doesn't seem as though threads on the inside of the neck would stop me from using this. Low pressure transfers here I come!!!!

Old 01-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #118
thesanch
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I'm thinking of going with this setup, but I'm having some difficulty thinking up a simple way of attaching my gas line to the blow off port to push the beer out when racking. I would really like to keep my gas lines they way they are (ball lock quick disconnects attached on the end).

I have the 2 keg basic kit from kegconnection. They use some sort of worm clamps that prevent them from being loosened.

Any ideas are welcome.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #119
flananuts

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi there

I would recommend you use a dual gauge primary regulator with dual ports. Run one port to a secondary or a set of secondary regulators. The secondaries will control co2 pressure to the kegs, while the second port on the primary will allow you to attach a gas line to run to Derrin's fermenter for pressure transfer. I found that if you map out what you want for your kegerator and for your co2 needs, you can do better than buying a kit. The kit is of course still a good way to go. Here's pictures of the the secondary reg's. I recently added a splitter on one secondary so I can use one regulator to power two kegs at 12lb psi while the other one gets used for force carbing.

Here's the regulator

Old 01-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #120
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesanch View Post
I'm having some difficulty thinking up a simple way of attaching my gas line to the blow off port to push the beer out when racking.
You can connect the gas line using a 1/4" male flare fitting and 3/8" push-connect tube adapter (1/2" for the newer design). Just unhook and attach the existing MFL connector from your gas line.

If it helps, here is a parts diagram (click to enlarge) for my liquid/gas setup:

sanke-adapter.jpg

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Quick Reply