Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Sanitizing pumps/new brew stand

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
dsherburn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Sanitizing pumps/new brew stand

Sorry for the lousy pictures, but here is the equipment I use. It utilizes the March pumps and quick disconnect hoses. Can I clean and sanitize the pumps and fittings by recirculating cleaner and sanitizer solution through the pumps, lines, and fittings? Or should I dis-assemble the pump each time and clean in a bucket?

photo-feb-02-11-21-32-am.jpg   photo-feb-02-11-21-22-am.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 393 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 599

Not saying it is the best practice, but I run boiling water through mine after I use them. About every 3 brews I disassemble the March pump head and clean. That's about it. I've never had sanitizer through mine.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I may be in the minority but I have never taken my pumps apart to clean them. I recirculate boiling wort the last 10 minutes of a boil for the post boil or cold side pumping I will do after the wort has chilled. I use an immersion chiller and recirculate wort to speed up the cooling.

For cleaning I fill my BK with hot water routing the water back through the pump is reverse. I dump in some oxyclean, brush it around then recirculate the oxyclean solution through my BK pump and hoses for 5 min or so, then pump the BK dry. I then use the same reverse flow method to flush cold water through the pumps and hoses for a rinse.

I refill my 20 HLT after transferring strike water to the MLT. After the mash I use the HLT pump to pump the water I use to fly sparge through my HERMs coil to flush it as well as the remaining 8 or 9 gals of hot water. My HLT pump has never pumped anything but water since I bought it.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
mpcluever
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I recirculate PBW through my pump to clean my plate chiller. Inside of the pump is spotless every time I've taken it apart.

Quick Reply