Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > sanitizing & drying a plate chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
icu812
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default sanitizing & drying a plate chiller

what are some of your methods? directions say do not store away wet, sounds tough to get all the water out with all those small channels.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 02:11 AM   #2
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by icu812 View Post
what are some of your methods? directions say do not store away wet, sounds tough to get all the water out with all those small channels.
I've only used mine for my last two batches, and this question is on my mind as well. Many people bake them in an oven, but I don't much feel like heating up my oven for an hour for this purpose. I also have disconnects mounted on it which have rubber parts that wouldn't stand up to the heat.

So far, I'm just draining the chiller as thoroughly as possible, then blowing compressed air through it for several minutes. After a while, the air comes out dry so I hope this is doing the trick. I may rig up an adapter to my heat-shrink gun, so I can blow hot air through.

For sanitizing, I'm just pumping boiling wort through it for a few minutes with the cooling water off. Then I recirculate to the kettle until the wort reaches pitching temp.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
conneryis007
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

NECRO-BUMP

I was about to post a similar question when I found this old post....I have used my blichmann plate chiller 7 times now and have never been able to get it 100% dry on the inside. I have tried baking it in the oven at 220 for a hour and it still does not do the trick!!

I am afraid of mold/bacteria growing on the inside!

Do I need an air compressor to get this thing dry?!?

Never underestimate how much assistance, how much satisfaction, how much comfort, how much soul and transcendence there might be in a well-made taco and a cold bottle of beer.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
jakenbacon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 198

As long as you get the gunk out and clean it thoroughly before and after each use you will be fine. Just let her hang with the wort ports down to drip dry and nothing substantial will grow in there. Then when ready for use, run hot PBW through her again, rinse, and sanitize, and you will be golden. I have used my 40 plate chiller for about 15 batches now and have been infection free. I let it sit in some starsan for about 20 min prior to use.... Good luck

EDIT: Also I must say, I have never used PBW before about the last three batches to clean with and wow, it works wonders on clearing the plate chiller of gunk....

Old 04-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
SleepyCreekBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Agreed, the most important thing is to get any crap out of it before storing ....I use a small fountain jump to flush it with cleaner and sanitize with starsan ...and then attempt to dry it in the oven ...I always pump starsan through it on brew day as well, and then usually run the hot wort through it for a few mins (before turning on the cooling) as well.

Sleepy Creek Brewery, Leesville, NC
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sleepy...743?ref=stream

Old 04-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
Misplaced_Canuck
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I can tell you how the brewpub where I worked did it: Back-flush with water, then recirculate with a sanitizing solution, and lock the liquid in place with 2 valves. When you use it the next time, flush with fresh water, and recirculate hot wort through it before turning on the water.

How I do it at home: Once I'm done using it, I flush with plenty of water (from my well). Then I leave it by the sink and hook up a 1/2" line to it, and every now and then when I walk by, I open the hot water tap to flush it out. When I use it the next time, I flush with fresh water, and recirculate hot wort through it before turning on the water.

MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
conneryis007
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post
I can tell you how the brewpub where I worked did it: Back-flush with water, then recirculate with a sanitizing solution, and lock the liquid in place with 2 valves. When you use it the next time, flush with fresh water, and recirculate hot wort through it before turning on the water.

How I do it at home: Once I'm done using it, I flush with plenty of water (from my well). Then I leave it by the sink and hook up a 1/2" line to it, and every now and then when I walk by, I open the hot water tap to flush it out. When I use it the next time, I flush with fresh water, and recirculate hot wort through it before turning on the water.

MC
Are you saying you store it wet? Would this not lead to mineral deposits and corrosion?

Never underestimate how much assistance, how much satisfaction, how much comfort, how much soul and transcendence there might be in a well-made taco and a cold bottle of beer.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:08 AM   #8
Misplaced_Canuck

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by conneryis007 View Post
Are you saying you store it wet? Would this not lead to mineral deposits and corrosion?
It's darn near impossible to dry it out, so I keep it wet and run water through it periodically.

MC
Quote:
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:46 AM   #9
conneryis007
Recipes 

Very interesting...I never considered storing it wet! Would it be best to store it full of tap water, star san or pbw?

Old 04-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
Misplaced_Canuck

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by conneryis007 View Post
Very interesting...I never considered storing it wet! Would it be best to store it full of tap water, star san or pbw?
The brewpub where I worked used iodophor, but I'd prefer a sanitizer (non-chlorine) over a cleaner. But... that's just me.

If you're worried about mineral deposits (I am not - I'm more concerned about hop debris), you could also use a solution of distilled water + your preferred sanitizer.

Keep in mind that we used the plate chiller every week at the brewpub.

MC
Quote:

Quick Reply