New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Sanitizing CFC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
winestill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sanitizing CFC

Hi guys.

Do you think I can sanitize my CFC by running boiling wort through it for 10 minutes. I have a pump which can handle up to 120c and a silicone hose.
I would connect my hose to the pump and the cfc and another hose from the cfc to the boiling kettle.

Is this method maby dangerous?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 02:45 AM   #2
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

That is the standard way to sanitize. Just make sure your hoses are well clamped.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 12-07-2012, 02:55 AM   #3
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

At over 200F you only need a few seconds (max) contact time to sanitize. Most do it for longer than that. Not sure, exactly, why they feel the need, but the science behind what a liquid at that temperature will do is pretty well documented. We're not looking to sterilize here, since that's just not practical for most of us. Also, look at it this way, your dishwasher has a 'sanitize' cycle. The heater in there can only increase the hot water feed temperature by 20F. Where I am, that's locked at 120F. So, it's a 140F temperature for however long (probably many minutes). As you increase the temperature of the liquid, the time to sanitize drops drastically. Pasteurization happens in under a minute at 155F.

Personally, I run boiling wort through my plate chiller starting about 5 minutes from the end of the boil. I have a thermometer reading the temperature of the wort coming out of it. I make it a goal to hit at least 200F for at least 30-60 seconds each batch. Even that, IMO/IME, is going above and beyond. Especially if the chiller was cleaned well (properly) after it's last use.

Of course, you could also fill it with Star San for 5-10 minutes on brew day, drain 5-10 minutes before you're going to use it and still run the hot wort through it. IMO, not much of anything could survive that 1 2 punch.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 12-07-2012, 05:17 AM   #4
beerbeer95648
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am one who runs hot water for longer than needed. For me I just like to make sure everything is up to temperature before shutting it down. Keep in mind that you may have minor issues with cavitation at those temps. My practice is 180 degrees for 30 min (again, longer than needed). But many circulate boiling wort to sanitize. Also, keep in mind if you use wort, you may need to deal with hop material clogging the chiller depending on you method for hop containment.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:21 AM   #5
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer95648 View Post
I am one who runs hot water for longer than needed. For me I just like to make sure everything is up to temperature before shutting it down. Keep in mind that you may have minor issues with cavitation at those temps. My practice is 180 degrees for 30 min (again, longer than needed).
Cavitation is why you put a ball valve on the outlet side of the pump. You can close it down to the point where you eliminate it. It really works. I had it squeal at me the first time I used the pump without one. Added it as per Walter's recommendation and that issue went away.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 12-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
winestill
Recipes 

All righty. So it wont blow up because of the steam or heat?
And you would run it for 10 min?

Old 12-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Just my 2c...
I clean it after and sanitize before usage so I heat few gallons of water in HLT and run it trough HEX and CFC.
When only clean water runs of from HEX/CFC I turn off the pump and put bungs on both end, to prevent copper from oxidizing.
Before usage I drain water and fill CFC (not HEX as it is not needed) with sanitation solution, drain it after 5-10 minutes and is is ready for chilling.

We are only 10,000 years into beer... there are thousands of years left to go!
Things are bound to change!!

Brewroom with HERMS build
Fermentation chamber and Keezer.. a.k.a. FermKeezer

Quick Reply