Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Sanitizing bottles question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2006, 08:33 PM   #1
PhoenixCoyote
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sanitizing bottles question

Hello,
I have 2 different kinds of sanitizer, w.a.y. and one step. The directions say to air dry until no moisture is left. I have waited an hour and still they are not dry. Directions also say not to ingest etc. So what i have been doing is rinsing out the bottles before i fill them. Is this ok? Or will i get a chance of getting something in there from the water? I know this might sound silly, but i just don't want to ingest anything i shouldn't. I need to invest in a bottle tree to dry. Thank You.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2006, 10:28 PM   #2
magno

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I havent ever used w.a.y. but I have used onestep. I thought it was no rinse, meaning it was ok if you ingested a small amount, but i do not have the package in front of me. Regardless, I wouldnt worry about rinsing them out before filling them. The beer is a fairly inhospitable habitat for most nasties once it has been fermented.

And a bottle tree is definetly a worthwhile investment.

- magno

Old 06-05-2006, 01:05 AM   #3
brackbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Be aware that one step is NOT actually a sanitizer, just a cleaner. There is a difference. Once I found that out, I switched to iodophor and starsan. When diluted properly, those are both no-rinse SANITIZERS.

Good luck and BREW ON

Old 06-08-2006, 04:30 AM   #4
pariah
Recipes 

Were the bottles upside down?

I bottled my first batch today, and the bottles took fifteen minutes to dry. I just set them upside down in my dish holder thingy.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:13 PM   #5
Wolf

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixCoyote
Hello,
I have 2 different kinds of sanitizer, w.a.y. and one step. The directions say to air dry until no moisture is left. I have waited an hour and still they are not dry. Directions also say not to ingest etc. So what i have been doing is rinsing out the bottles before i fill them. Is this ok? Or will i get a chance of getting something in there from the water? I know this might sound silly, but i just don't want to ingest anything i shouldn't. I need to invest in a bottle tree to dry. Thank You.
I use One Step, and I go direct from the washtub to bottling, I barely let them dry. So far the onestep hasn't had any ill effect on me ill effect on me ill effect on me ill effect on me................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .............sorry, what was I saying?

Seriously though, the above is true, but I'm going to switch to Iodophor as soon as the Onestep is gone just because it's cheaper and easier to work with.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:17 PM   #6
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

The dishwasher makes a great drying rack for bottles, btw. I sanitize the bottles, put them upside down in the dishwasher, then flip the dishwasher door open and use it as a shelf for filling the bottles.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 06-08-2006, 02:55 PM   #7
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWolf10
I use One Step, and I go direct from the washtub to bottling, I barely let them dry. So far the onestep hasn't had any ill effect on me ill effect on me ill effect on me ill effect on me................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .............sorry, what was I saying?

Seriously though, the above is true, but I'm going to switch to Iodophor as soon as the Onestep is gone just because it's cheaper and easier to work with.
The reason you've never had a problem with using One step as a sanitizer is probably because it sanitizes just fine--- but the FDA won't let them CALL it a sanitizer unless they go through an approval process--- which costs money.
One Step is sodium percarbonate, which produces hydrogen peroxide in solution. Hydrogen peroxide will sanitize just fine.

All things that call themselves sanitizers in the US will sanitize. However, there are many products that do sanitize but have not been through the FDA process thus just because it doesn't call itself a sanitizer does NOT mean that it does not sanitize.

There is a differnece between saying 'it's not a sanitizer' and 'it does not sanitize'. They are not the same thing at all.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:31 PM   #8
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Some pros and cons, as far as I can see...

Bleach
Pros: dirt cheap, effective
Cons: requires rinsing (according to most), long contact time (20-30 minutes), some say it makes beer taste bad

Iodophor
Pros: cheaper than Star San and One Step, no-rinse, short contact time (~2 minutes)
Cons: stains, may not be terrible enviromentally friendly, prepared solution doesn't keep

Star-San
Pros: no-rinse, short contact time (~2 minutes), can be kept several days or longer
Cons: stains, may not be terrible enviromentally friendly, costs more than iodophor, foaming can be a nuisance.

One-Step
Pros: no-rinse, short contact time (~2 minutes), can be kept (sealed) several days or longer, more ebvironmentally friendly than iodophor or star-san
Cons: not officially approved as a sanitizer, more expensive the star-san and iodophor

I use iodophor that I get cheap in bulk from the farm supply store.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 06-08-2006, 08:54 PM   #9
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
Some pros and cons, as far as I can see...

Bleach
Pros: dirt cheap, effective
Cons: requires rinsing (according to most), long contact time (20-30 minutes), some say it makes beer taste bad
Bleach does NOT require rising, nor will it impart any flavors, if used in proper proportions.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:02 PM   #10
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornkob
Bleach does NOT require rising, nor will it impart any flavors, if used in proper proportions.
well.. he did say "according to most" and "some" for those items. There's always going to be conflict here. He pointed out the conflict, you confirmed it.

-walker

Quick Reply