Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > sanitizing bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
pete2601
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default sanitizing bottles

can i sanitize my bottles ahead of time? If so how long

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
tippetsnapper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I bottle from the keg, and do it as I need it. I'll just sanitize a case in the dishwasher, put a piece of foil on the top, then throw in the freezer. The freezer is mainly to cut down on foam when bottling from the keg so I don't even think that is necessary. As long as you cover the tops so nothing can fall in, Papazian says you can store for long periods of time.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy"

Old 01-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

you should always sanitize fresh.

If not you are playing Russian Roulette with you beer, eventually it will bite you in the butt.

You should sanitize on bottling day (or brew day if you are brewing.) It only takes a few minutes. If you let a no-rinse, wet contact sanitizer like starsan or iodophor, dry your are reducing it's efficacy by half. If it is dry, any micro organisms that touch the surface render it no longer sanitized. If the walls are wet with sanitizer, that organism would be toast. But dry it would still be alive.

It really should take you no more than 10 minutes to sanitize your two cases of beer. Or bottle in an hour. If it takes you longer you need to work on your process, not cut corners with your sanitization regimen.

Here's a lot of bottling tips to make the job easier. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bott...ebrewer-94812/

You'll find a lot of good info/tips to effective sanitization here; http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sani...uestion-54932/ in cluding how you should get rid of your dry powdered "pseudo sanitizers" in favor of the afore mentioned, no-rinse, wet contact sanitizers like starsan and iodophor.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-30-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
check
Recipes 

I do prefer the wet method; I use starsan. Wet sanitizers give a certain peace of mind.
However, in pinch I have also used heat sterilization:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/dry-...bottles-54497/

I found 9 inch foil squares in a dispenser box at a bulk club, and I cut them down to 3*3 to make caps If I bake my bottles. I do not recommend baking painted bottles because the paint tends to oxidise and rub off.

Quick Reply