Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Sanitizer from a tractor supply store

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
candlejack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Sanitizer from a tractor supply store

Hello, quick question about what sanitizer i should buy.

At a local tractor supply store, they have two different sanitizers one label reads:

Ingredients: 7% active ingredients provided by iodine, potassium iodide and providone iodine. Provides 2.4% titratable iodine.

The second reads:
Ingredients: Activie ingredient 2% titratable iodine.

Would either of these be ok for sanitizing? And if they are ok for sanitizing, what ratio of liquid to water should i use to get a none rinse solution.

Thank you very much in advance. I've been driving all over looking for sanitizers and trying to read through the many posts on here to figure it out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
h4mmy86
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just use bleach water and save some loot

Old 07-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd recommend Starsan. Is there a reason you can not shop on-line? There are plenty of options on line for getting the traditional sanitizers that everyone else uses. In your area Rebel Brewer, or Austin Homebrew Supply should be a quick ship for you. They both have good selection, prices, and customer service.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 07-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2732 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I'll actually ANSWER the questions, since there's plenty of info on using Tractor supply store sanitizers, which is the same thing as iodophor.
And it's actually cheaper than starsan or iodophor, and only SLIGHTLY more expensive than bleach, and more effective and doesn't run the risk of introducing chloramines in the beer chain.

You want the second one....

You're going to have to read the threads we have to figure out the calculation it will probably be somewhere between 1 and 1.5 tbs to reach the 12ppm you need (iirc) for no-rinse iodophors.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-19-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
candlejack
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Revvy thank you so much! I appreciate your response.

Everyone else thank you, I appreciate your responses as well
I stayed away from bleach because when I lived with my parents (just moved out recently) my dad would go on weird cleaning sprees and use all the bleach. It would actually wind up costing me alot to keep buying bottles of bleach lol. Also i like the short time soaking period for iodophor and the lack of smell and stuff. (buying iodophor is too expensive though, i can get it online but living on my own im trying to minimize as much spending as possible)

I stayed away from star san because of the price, and my friend was using one star san produce and seemed to leave bubbles and stuff. Also, for some reason stray liquids with acid in it love to get in my eye. Had it happen once in a photo lab and the following hospital visit was not fun. I actually helped him do some bottling a few days ago and had a close liquid in the eye call.

once again, thank you all for your help.

Quick Reply