The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Is Sanitizer Reusable?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
Thwizzit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Is Sanitizer Reusable?

Can you save the sanitizer you've used in a gallon jug and use it over and over again or is only good for one use?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2008, 01:10 PM   #2
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It depends on the sanitizer. Starsan is good for a few weeks up to many months (depending on the type of water you use). I'm not sure about the others.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 04-19-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Chlorine-based sanitizers in particular are not generally okay for reuse, because chlorine evaporates constantly. Not that that'd be a problem while stored in an airtight container, but it would get progressively less effective each time it was used.

As Brad said, starsan is great for the task. I store and reuse starsan for months at a time. As long as it stays clear and the pH is below 3.0, it's still good. Despite its somewhat higher initial cost than some other sanitizers, if you're willing to store and reuse, starsan can easily be one of the cheapest sanitizers of all, in addition to being really convenient and effective.

Last edited by Funkenjaeger; 04-19-2008 at 01:31 PM.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
ddroukas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You could also use Coca-Cola. pH=2.7.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Iodophor can last at least a week, maybe 2 in a sealed container, it will change color from straw to clear as the ph and the usefulness decreases....Using distilled water with either starsan or iodophor helps make it last longer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-19-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
RodfatherX
Recipes 

Any body know about one step?

Old 04-19-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
Scotty_g

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

One-step is sodium peroxycarbonate, which is basically hydrogen peroxide in washing soda. It decomposes over time (losing oxygen). It does not keep its sanitizing power for a long time...and it's not that expensive--especially if you buy 5 lbs at a time.

I keep a spray bottle of starsan in water around for keg fittings and posts, cleaning the countertop, etc. That stuff (as mentioned before) seems to hold up.

While a thing of sanitizer may initially be expensive, the cost per use is a lot less than the value of a spoiled batch of beer. Always consider whether a chance you take or step you skip saves you enough money to be worth a bad batch.

Natural 20 Brewery

Yes, that *is* beer. Water, malt, hops, and yeast mean it's beer. Go ahead and try a glass...

Old 04-19-2008, 07:31 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodfatherX
Any body know about one step?

[rant]I wished that they'd quit peddling onestep to new brewers and/or quit skirting the line on whether or not it is a sanitizer or cleanser... Or at least PAY for USDA sanitizer certification once and for all...it's not like they can't afford the certification....They have contracts with ALL the major kit vendors including MR Beer to supply their horrid product with kits....they must make enough to pay for the litsting....

If you want to read about onestep the real sanitizers, and how they differ, check this thread out...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54932

[/rant][/QUOTE]

If onestep really is Sodium percarbonate, like Scotty says, then it is more like Oxyclean than it is a sanitizer....If you can't tell I'm not a fan of that stuff, especially in light of Iodophor and Starsan.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-19-2008, 07:41 PM   #9
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

+1 on starsan. I keep a 1 gallon bucket around until it starts looking cloudy/dirty. 1 gallon usually lasts me about 2-3 weeks. Doing this I have made a $9 purchase of 8oz of starsan last me nearly a year.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Quick Reply