The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Sanitation of a sight tube in a boil kettle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
Elfmaze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Sanitation of a sight tube in a boil kettle

I was thinking about this as i have been planning my keggle. When you have some wort in the site glass how do you know that wort is sanatized by boiling? Can't the wort in the site glass stay cooler than needed to sanatize it? then when you drain the BK it can flow back in a contaminate things? Maby its just paranoia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
JMSetzler
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

It's just paranoia That wort is going to be within one or two degrees of what is in the brew kettle. As it cools in the sight glass, it will be replaced with warmer wort.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
springer

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

I just blow the wort out of the tube a few times during the boil. I use a little compressed air. But its most likely not needed

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 08-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
It's just paranoia That wort is going to be within one or two degrees of what is in the brew kettle. As it cools in the sight glass, it will be replaced with warmer wort.
+100000 to this.

Even if that tiny bit of wort in the glass is not 212 degrees it will be above pasturization temps for the complete length of time of the boil. So don't sweat it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-12-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
Whiskey
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I know at the height of a rolling boil, my sight glass is very active and appears to be boiling right along with the rest of the kettle. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I suppose you're chilling in place with an IC right? If you're using a CFC or plate chiller, it wouldn't matter because that wort would integrate with the boil temp stuff as it drains. In any case, I'm sure it gets over 160F for a good long time anyway, plenty of time to kill anything in there. You could blow that wort into the kettle just as it approaches boil temp and it will be replaced by high temp wort as Springer mentioned.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply