Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Sanitation question...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2007, 09:12 PM   #1
capcrnch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Sanitation question...

This may seem idiotic to some, but its honestly meant as a valid question!

When sanitizing equipment, how long is that sanitizing "good for"?
I guess my question is more along the lines of how safe am I?

While brewing last night, I sanitized, then set the items to the side while I cooled my wort and then poured it into my fermenting bucket.
Lets say those items sat for 15? minutes or so.. Is that cool or am I playing with danger?

Thanks all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2007, 12:22 AM   #2
gnets99

Recipes 

I think you should be okay...I typically do the same thing. What I do first is take a paper towel and dip it in the sanitizer and wipe the counter down with it. Next, I lay out a few more paper towels and move everything out of the sanitizer and place it, still wet on the paper towels. This way they sit there with the sanitizer still on them in a sense. Unless you end up with a bad batch, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
I'm sure others might have other things to say, just my .02 cents.

Kegged: Dark Lord of the Stout, Blonde Bombshell
Bottles: Bad Shark Ale, Summer Ale

Old 07-23-2007, 12:32 AM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 914 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Once the sanitizer drips off and dries from the surface, the timer starts ticking and no one really knows how long it lasts. It depends on how many undesireables you have floating around in your environment. You can cover things with clean plastic wrap if it's going to sit for 30 minutes or more. Small items like thermometers and spoons should be left sitting in a bowl of sanitizer during your brew session.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 07-23-2007, 01:00 AM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Once the sanitizer drips off and dries from the surface, the timer starts ticking and no one really knows how long it lasts. It depends on how many undesireables you have floating around in your environment. You can cover things with clean plastic wrap if it's going to sit for 30 minutes or more. Small items like thermometers and spoons should be left sitting in a bowl of sanitizer during your brew session.
I kind of have to agree with you and admit that that is the reason why I use my equipment while it's still wet.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:02 PM   #5
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If you are talking about items such as spoons, thermometers or temp. probe ect I think it's a good idea to rinse them off and then put them into a container filled with sanitizer. Now if you are talking about your bucket, I'd cover it with the sanitized lid or keep it upside down on a sanitary surface. With carboys you could cover it with a piece of aluminum foil. Then you really don't have to concern yourself about the time.

Quick Reply