The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > sanitation problem? - help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2007, 07:13 PM   #1
stevenmingus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default sanitation problem? - help!!

i'm new to homebrewing and so far i just use a plastic bottling bucket with the airlock lid to ferment my beer, instead of the glass carboy. usually when i brew it, the airlock bubbles some and a bit of foam gets up in there.

the other night i was brewing up a scottish ale and after i put it in the fermenter with the yeast and put the lid on, the brew was fermenting so aggressively that it was causing the lid to pop up in one spot. i tried to correct it as often as i saw it happen, but it still did a few times.

was this normal? was this caused by a sanitation problem? and finally, is my beer still safe to bottle up and drink or is it ruined now?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2007, 07:40 PM   #2
beerdad
Recipes 

I would say all of the gasses coming out should prevent any from coming in. I've heard of a lot worse situations tunrning out ok. Hang in there finish up the beer then enjoy!

Primary #1 Panty Dropper Cider
Primary #2 Honey Brown Ale
Primary #3 Scottish Ale
Secondary #1 Empty
Secondary #2 Panty Dropper Cider
Secondary #3 Empty
Secondary #4 Empty
Bottled European Ale, Corona Clone, Raspberry White Zinfandel, Old English 800 Clone
Drinking Double IPA
More Double IPA it was great!

Old 09-22-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

This is normal for a very vigorous fermentation. Search for blow off tubes...might help. As far as infection, if it tastes good then you should be fine. Take a hydrometer sample and then again in a couple days, if steady, bottle.

Quick Reply