Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Sanitation: How long does Star-San stay good for (mixed up)?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #11
brewhan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I was actually just wondering this - about storing Star San and other sanitizing products.

So if I'm going to be keeping a lot of Star San solution for long periods of time, is there anything wrong with keeping some of my brewing gear floating in it - to be ready-sanitized when needed? Like, my clear plastic siphoning tube?

Does bleach keep for months on end in this way as well? (I haven't quite managed to source any Star San yet.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #12
Jaybrinks
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have left clear tubing in star san before.... i think it was about a week or 2... out of laziness and it completely clouded up the tubing....so I don't do that any more.

I'm not sure on the bleach. I only used it once when I first started. The contact time is high....I think like 30 minutes, and you have to rinse....so I don't use it anymore.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:37 AM   #13
millsware
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerH View Post
I always wondered why people complained about the price of StarSan. You're mixing up 5 gallons of it on bottling day?!! Then just pouring it out?
Hey man, don't freak out on me, I'm new to this. You're right, 5 gallons is way more than needed at a time, I get that now. Reducing volume + reusing = much less sticker shock.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:58 AM   #14
HSM
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerH View Post
I always wondered why people complained about the price of StarSan. You're mixing up 5 gallons of it on bottling day?!! Then just pouring it out?
At 50 cents for 5 gallons I'm not sweating using it and dumping it.

"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis."
www.TheFreeSpeak.com

zing Likes This 
Old 06-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #15
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I had a gallon jug left from last Fall when I quit brewing. When I started again this Spring, I tested the pH using a strip, and it was fine. I mix all my Star San solution using RO (reverse osmosis) water from the grocery store. When judging some Star San solution, clear is good, but a pH of 3.5 or lower is the standard, as its operation is based on acidity.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #16
brewingkitty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSM View Post
At 50 cents for 5 gallons I'm not sweating using it and dumping it.
i bought my quart of stansan to support my "local" hbs (only one in 300 miles) for twice what it goes for at NB or the likes. even so, i have still only used 3oz's in the year i have been using it.

"Damn ye, yellow-bellied sapsuckers; I'm a better man than all of ye milksops put together" - Blackbeard

"...I have really good sex moves; that I learned in China. I'm a sexual tiger; and feed on va-gine-a." - Jon Lajoie

Old 07-05-2010, 03:54 AM   #17
Satori
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm sorry to resurrect this, but I'm so glad to those who wrote it!

I just happen to have an RO filter at home and decided to give it a try. WOW! My solution used to get cloudy in a matter of moments, now I have a 1 gal solution that's crystal clear several days later.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #18
Lost_Arkitekt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Default Sorry for drumming up this thread, but...

I bought a bunch of distilled water (store didn't have RO at the time) and I made some StarSan solution out of it. I've had it stored for about 6 months...with no ability to test PH (well...not really).

It isn't crystal clear, but it isn't as cloudy as with tap water. It still foams up when I shake it.

Anyone have experience with plain distilled water. Also, does anyone know where I can get bottled R.O. water in Chicago that is actually good...not from bulk machine in Whole Foods, etc.

Thanks!

Bottled: Western Grip Milk Stout, Clarevoyant Oatmeal Porter, Doc Brown Pumpkin Ale (non-spiced), Bitter to Be Clarion

"Great minds think alike...and fools rarely differ."

Old 07-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #19
Lost_Arkitekt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Default Figured it out...

The spray bottle was a little cloudy and foamed medium. A gallon jug I had was clear and foamed a ton...just like new. I used that.

Still, I'm looking for good, RO bottled water in Chicago area so I can make some up and keep it for awhile.

Any suggestions?

Bottled: Western Grip Milk Stout, Clarevoyant Oatmeal Porter, Doc Brown Pumpkin Ale (non-spiced), Bitter to Be Clarion

"Great minds think alike...and fools rarely differ."

Quick Reply